Why are doctors so reluctant to give out Opiate type painkillers when they only type that work on real pain?

My GP (live in UK so healthcare is free and prescriptions are either free or every medicine is just one fee per medicine about £7.20ish) I'm in chronic pain in legs due to flat feet like every time I work or out for long periods! NSAIDS and Paracetamol are useless part from Naproxen! However Iv been prescribed... show more My GP (live in UK so healthcare is free and prescriptions are either free or every medicine is just one fee per medicine about £7.20ish) I'm in chronic pain in legs due to flat feet like every time I work or out for long periods! NSAIDS and Paracetamol are useless part from Naproxen! However Iv been prescribed 30mg Codeine Phosphate X 52! I Work full time and on my feet alot so am taking 1-3 shift! However I'm not on repeat I either have to phone docs or make appointment to get more! I always get told off for using them up quick but the fact is the codeine is good for 5 ours then weres off so in order to work I must take more and risk having less rest of month or take the strongest OTC painkillers which I now have to do a lot and risk liver problems or stomach problems from the Cocodamol or Neurofen Plus! I know he doesn't want me addicted but im becoming tolerent and with that addiction! However the pain is unbarable and am forced to double dose OTC stuff or ask mates! I know he cares but I need somthing stronger or sustained release! I have a high tolarance and know there are other opiates such as Dihydrocodeine etc that have sustained release am not asking for fentanyl just no pain! How do I tell him cause he never listens when I try! The pain is depressing and affecting my social life! He's a good GP most are but how do I make him understand?
Update: I do.go.to physio and podiatrist! Still same, been year now!