Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 7 years ago

Is it worth buying organic seeds and what is the difference between organic and non-organic seeds ?

I bought some organic broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and brussels sprouts seeds that were more expensive than the non-organic seeds of the same type. There was also about 50% less seeds than the non-organic ones.

Favorite Answer

Well, now wait a minute. If the seeds were produced by Monsanto, there are genetically modified seed. No getting around that one. You have to read the package to see where the seeds originated from.

The ones that say organic mean that they are not genetically modified and are better for you for sure.

They usually are because they meet the national food and drug definition of organic (which I highly dispute, anyway.)

Ask the professionals at your local garden center-not HD or L-because those who work there probably won't know.

Source(s): Horticulturist

Sorry but you got screwed. Organic means it is living or once lived. All seed are organic. Seeds only pass on the genes of the plant not how it was grown. For that matter, organic over-priced food is a scam. I'm an expert gardner and you can not grow certain fruits and veggies unless inside a greenhouse without using some sort of pesticide unless you are willing to live with worms in your apples and worms in you ears of corn. Fertilizer is mostly nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous,( ie) N P K. Does it really matter if it came from grinding up a rock or from the backside of a horse. It is still N, P, K.

Source(s): I don't like scams and people to take advantage.
  • Nancy

I agree with Houseplant Doctor. The organic seeds are usually not genetically modified BUT you have to get them from a reliable source. I get mine from Seeds of Change. I do think the flavor is different in them, more intense, sweeter. I know Martha Stewart has a line of organic seeds at Home Depot but honestly, who knows what Martha is doing. Sometimes they stamp the word "organic" on stuff and it's not.

Also, the other person is right. You do have to grow it organically or else what's the point?

Source(s): I run an organic community garden.

Buy the cheaper seeds and grow then in a organic environment.

Look at this way if you bought organic seeds and grew them in a non organic environment what do you have. The organic labelled seeds are a rip off

• bonker

Good hybird way fusing of two or extra traits or qualities of the identical household but one-of-a-kind species..Eg ..,.Say you've two flowering mango trees.One in every of them beneath typical conditions bares quality vegetation however has proor root structue and a 2nd tree with insignificant flowers but healthty root structure.What you are able to do is that you can go the two parent mango trees (one wth great flower and the other with nice constitution) to get a new offspring or a new plant that has the first-class flower and pleasant roots on one single tree.This practise and the brand new pruduct is known as is hybrid. Sure which you can definately germinate the seed derived from hybrid vegetation.However there's a catch right here..The plant that you simply get will lose some fine features for example you would get the inconspicious flowers.You can searh the hybrid filial charts from the net...You're going to HAVE CLEARER snapshot WHEN YOUVE learn THE FILIAL new release CHART ON HYBRIDS. Comfortable gardening.

Organic means carbon based. There is no such thing as non-organic seeds. You might consider sand and rocks as organic seeds. ;) Marketers use the term "organic" to draw in customers but it is a gimmick.