When to fertilize tomato/peppers/onions plants?

• Ranger
    Favorite Answer

No one answer fits all garden conditions. The true answer depends upon the amount of nitrogen, phosphate and potassium naturally in your soil. If your soil has all 3 in the amounts needed you won't have to apply any fertilizer at all. If your soil is very low, you will need to apply quiet a bit of fertilizer.

Watch the color of the leaves, they should be a dark green. If they start to turn pale green, apply fertilizer in sparingly amounts. It is better to apply too little fertilizer than too much. If you apply too much fertilizer the plants will die.

Source(s): rc
  • Sean M

The best times are at the beginning of the season, and about halfway through.

Potted plants require much more frequent fertilization than in-ground plants. But for all, Nitrogen is the most used (and loved) nutrient for Peppers and Tomatoes especially. Blood Meal is a cheap and easy form of nitrogen fertilizer that peppers, onions, and tomatoes will love.

Otherwise, people tend to over-fertilize their gardens. In many cases, Nitrogen, being the most vital nutrient for plant growth, is the main fertilizer you should have to worry about for in-ground plants.

Aside from my potted plants, I am growing over 18 pepper plants and 2 tomatoes in my home nursery...I have my soil tested in a lab every season, and the one nutrient that is always lacking is Nitrogen. I fertilize with Blood Meal maybe 4 times per year (longer growing season in Southern California) and maybe once with a Phosphorus and Potassium fertilizer.

But remember, the more plants you grow, the more nutrients that are used. If you've only got a few plants, you should only have to fertilize with Nitrogen in the beginning and around mid growing season!

Source(s): Studying Soil Science in college...run a hot pepper nursery in my backyard
  • ?

Peppers and onions only need a little growmore (balanced fertiliser) worked into the suface. Tomatos are different. Work a little of the above into the growing medium and leave them till the first truss has set. Then feed them once a week with Tomorite which has a higher potash element. When the last truss (about 5) has set feed it a very high potash solution. This will punish the plant but it will ensure the toms ripen before the cold weather sets in. Don't forget to remove all side shoots and keep your eye on the trusses - they tend to bolt when you have stopped the plant (removed the growing point) after the last truss.

• John

tomatoes/peppers need lots of feed so use a water soluble feed at least weekly

onions are a ground plant and best to dig in soil before planting with well rotted manure and then top dress with manure again so it seeps into soil with watering/rain. when onions and leeks are well established and growing near to maturity a watering of collected urine will give extra strong flavours to them

Source(s): nurseryman
  • Gerald

start when the first fruit are set and beginning to grow onions do not need that much say every month

or so

I think in winter it is better