Can't get approved for a credit card? What am I doing wrong?

I'm a 20 year old college student, working 18-24 hours a week. I've been trying to get approved for a credit card so that I can start building credit. I applied for a card with the local credit union that I've been a member of for the past few years and they declined my request. And then I also... show more I'm a 20 year old college student, working 18-24 hours a week. I've been trying to get approved for a credit card so that I can start building credit.

I applied for a card with the local credit union that I've been a member of for the past few years and they declined my request. And then I also applied for a STUDENT card with Bank of America and they also declined.

I didn't have a cosigner for either one. However, one of my friends was able to get a regular (non-student) card with Bank of America without a cosigner.

Why doesn't anyone want to give me chance? None of my family members are willing to cosign. So I guess I'm SOL forever?