A rabbit has dug her nest/hole in the middle of my front yard. How can I protect the babies w/o scaring them?

I put some stakes in the ground around the nest so no one steps in the hole and so the mower-guy won't mow over the nest. I hope this won't deter Momma from coming back.

• Ranger
    Favorite Answer

Do Not look in the hole as the person alleging to be part of an Wild Animal Hospital says. If a wild Rabbit or Hare smells your scent around the babies, she will abandon them and they will die.

Just keep away from the nest hole. The mother will take care of the bunnies as they need. Enjoy watching them from a distance.

Source(s): rc

The mother will only stop in to feed the babies early in the morning, and again late in the evening. You can check them for the first few days to make sure they are round and hydrated, (in case you do not see the mother attending to them). If their eyes are closed, so then are their ears, so you will not scare them. You should be able to see the roundness of their tummies without having to touch them. If they are covered, pick one up, checked for hydration if their tummy is not obviously full. (gently pinch and pull a bit of skin behind their neck, if the skin returns to position right away, they are hydrated, if the skin stays up in a little tent, they need help)

You can provide a second line of defense from predation, watch the nest when possible, keep dogs and cats away.

Most rabbits are competent mothers, only the young and inexperienced seem to have troubles. They do not always do a good job of choosing a nesting site, but will feed on a regular schedule if they are able. The mother too is at risk of predation, if something happens to her, find a wild animal rehabilitation center and take the babies in, nest and all. Rehab center will raise them for release, as long as they are of wild stock.

Ranger C: I have been asked by our rehab staff to assess young rabbits under these very circumstances. The mother does not reject them from a simple examination. I understand that some "claim" to be things they are not, but I am not one of them. Not only do I volunteer, but my daugher is a rehabber, she has MSc degree from University of Edinburgh, Scotland.

Source(s): volunteer in wild animal hospital.

The mama will stay away from the nest most of the time to keep predators away. Rabbits are very good at protecting their young and the babies will be gone before you know it.

Kind of obvious. Leave them alone. That means you may have to avoid mowing until mom and her kits have moved on. Toss uncooked vegetable scraps from your kitchen onto the lawn. Mom and kits will thank you.

Enjoy your bunnies from a distance.

Good luck

quick!!! REMOVE THE STAKES!

if something gets the bunnies than it will be a part of nature. the mother rabbit may not come back because she may feel as it may be a trap, or maybe she is under there but went through a diffrent hole???

Stay away from them as much as possible. They will survive

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html just follow the link and it'll tell you what to do the ranger guy is correct though...

Source(s): internet