How do I convince my dad that Aruba is safe?

My father is worried that my trip to Aruba with my best friend and her family is unsafe. He has forbidden my sister from going to Mexico this summer and my brother isn't allowed to visit Germany as he planned. How do I tell my father that I will be safe during this trip? Does anyone know any statistics about the 'crime rate' or tourist areas? I would (hopefully) be staying at the marriot hotel on palm beach in Aruba, is that area nice/safe?

Favorite Answer

Aruba is perfectly safe and much better than many other Caribbean islands.

From the U.S. State Department website:

"THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: There are no known terrorist or extremist groups, or areas of instability on Aruba, although drug trafficking organizations do operate on the island.

CRIME: The crime threat in Aruba is generally considered low, although travelers should always take precautions when in unfamiliar surroundings. There have been incidents of theft from hotel rooms and vehicles. Armed robberies have been known to occur. Valuables left unattended on beaches, in cars and in hotel lobbies are easy targets for theft. Jewelry, phones, cameras and other electronics are the most commonly stolen items.

Car theft, especially of rental vehicles for joy riding and stripping, can occur. Vehicle leases or rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen or damaged. Be sure you are sufficiently insured when renting vehicles, jet skis, and other items.

We recommend that visitors take additional precautions when visiting the entertainment district of San Nicolas. Due to the popularity of this area with tourists, many petty crimes are reported in this area.

Parents of young travelers should be aware that the legal drinking age of 18 is not always enforced in Aruba, so extra parental supervision may be appropriate. Young travelers in particular are urged to take the same precautions they would when going out in the United States, e.g. to travel in pairs or in groups if they choose frequenting Aruba’s nightclubs and bars, and if they opt to consume alcohol, to do so responsibly. Anyone who is a victim of a crime should make a report to Aruban police, as well as report it immediately to the U.S. Consulate General on Curacao. Do not rely on hotel/restaurant/tour company management to make the report for you.

Don’t buy counterfeit and pirated goods, even if they are widely available. Not only are the bootlegs illegal in the United States, if you purchase them you may also be breaking local law. "

Tourism is the mainstay of Aruba's economy. Approximately 1.5 million tourists per year visit Aruba, with nearly 60% of those from the United States.

You have heard of two tourists deaths on the island in the past 7 years. So in those 7 years 2 out of 10.5 million tourists died.

I would have to say that any reasonable person could conclude you have excellent odds in your favor that nothing bad will happen. Odds are FIVE times more likely that you will be killed by a lightning strike.

Having traveled to the island over 20 times, as a parent, I would not hesitate allowing my 17 yo daughter to travel to Aruba with a family with whom I am well acquainted.

Take the same precautions as you would in a mall parking lot at home at night- keep valuables out of sight, do not walk alone and walk in lighted areas- and use your in room safe for valuables and you will be just fine.

The Marriott as Rayon said, is in a very busy area and there will be many other tourists around to keep you company.

Make use of skype or facetime while you are there to communicate and reassure your parents daily that you are having the time of your life!!

Hi,

Aruba as of today is one of the safest destinations in the Caribbean, safer even if compared to several big cities. It is by no means perfect but it's hard to compare to Mexico, which at the moment is not having the best of publicity. I cannot comment on Germany but I think it just comes with the territory of being a huge country. Personally I think it comes to two things when travelling, 1st, use common sense when travelling, do not do things you normally would not do and feel uncomfortable doing. 2nd, never go anywhere alone, when stepping out or coming back to the resort, always have someone with you. The tourist areas are safe enough that you can stroll around at night without any problems, you are not alone as it is a high traffic area, but again use common sense. The Palm Beach Area is where most of the high rise resorts are and is quite safe, it is also where the Marriott is located. Sadly enough I cannot provide you with stats as I do not have any. If you do get to visit, you will have fun and enjoy it. It is a nice place, friendly, good weather and relatively safe!

Well Aruba is safe in the caribbean Islands

Dont talk to stranger

Use your comone sense

dont go out in the night with a starnger