Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 8 years ago

Florida unemployment questions....?

I am currently on unemployment. I will be starting a contract job where I will be untaxed until I get my 1099 at the end of the year. The hours at the job will vary week to week. Im worried about losing my unemployment if I report this. Can they find out if Im working there if no taxes are being taken out? Should I report just to be safe? Im afraid Ill work one week and lose unemployment and not work another and be in trouble. :/

• Mentor
    Favorite Answer

1099 will be reported and unemployment would be aware then. They perform periodic checks. It's not worth the risk as all the benefits may be required to be repaid. You can legally collect while you partially unemployed. Typically benefits are reduced 25% for each day worked up to 4 days per week.

You are required to report all earnings. Each week specify how much you have earned.

- if you have not earned the maximum for your claim in a specific week, you will receive a payment for the shortfall.