Can an attack on a alternate life style person IE: goth or punk, be considered a hate crime?

The first case of someone being found guilty of a hate crime towards a goth happened in the UK a few months ago and I want an opinion on it. I would be considered alternate because I dress dark and could be goth but I don't recognize myself as such, so this affects me in a big way as I have been called out on the street by idiots before. Is this now in the same league as racial slurs?

Their was a charity set up after the girl was killed for being dressing differently. http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/

If you are interested.

Favorite Answer

A hate crime is a crime against another person, on the basis of the attacker's perception of the victim's belonging to a particular group.

It does not look like "goths" or "punks" fall into a protected category.

They might, depending on where it happens in the world, and what the lawyers can argue.

In order for an ordinary crime to be considered a hate crime, it needs to be motivated based on the attacker's bias against the victim's group. For example two people can get into a tussle, one is Black and the other is White, but in order for it to be a hate crime, it has to be clear that the motivations stem from the fact that the perpetrator's actions were guided by his dislike or disdain for his victim on the basis of the victim's color or creed.

In the case of goths and punks, it might be a harder line to argue because you can change your clothing. If a goth feels vulnerable in certain parts of town, he can actually change his clothing. Goths and Punks don't have a recognized religious dogma that obligates them to dress the way they do. You can't say that about religious Muslims.

Another important point about hate crimes, is that we can't change the color of our skin. If a punk or goth is beaten up, on account of the fact that he is white, that is a hate crime. He can't change the color of his skin, when he goes out of the house.

I don't think that "dressing differently" is defensible as a hate crime because like I said, you can change your clothes. If that becomes a hate crime, then pretty much any assault would qualify as a hate crime because the victim's defense attorney can argue "your honor, it is because she was wearing red shoes ... " "Your honor ... it is because he was wearing a cowboy hat in Brooklyn" ... It becomes something of a slippery slope.

I would not call it the same as racism, no, but it is a form of prejudice in my book. Hating or feeling superior to some one just because of how they look/dress/act is never a good thing. I mean, racism has involved or lead to the attempted genocide of some ethnic and religious groups. Kinda a whole other league.

The above can be seen as a hate crime, if they attacked that girl just for being different, then yeah, it is a hate crime. May she rest in peace.. Or haunt her killers forever, eventually driving them insane.

It is a hate crime in that it is a crime motivated by hate, so yes. Its not in the same league as racism, no, but it is a vital protection for 'emos' and 'goths' and the like.

Depends on the area. Some places in the US do consider it a hate crime but it has to be proven in court that that was what provoked the attack.

It's bullying, but it's not a hate crime.

everything is a hate crime...in fact, when the Founder Fathers started a revolution, it was their HATE for tyranny .FACT

so the founders are haters LMAO

@ nancy, non of the things you mention are unchangeable, except race but even that is a social construct.

Yes, it's discrimination. No, it's not comparable to racism. You can change your clothes and make-up to avoid discrimination (even though you shouldn't have to); people can't change their skin color to avoid racism.