Making weapons from scratch during a hypothetical World Apocalypse?

Okay, first off, the reason I am very curious about this sort of thing is I would like to think that if society ever turned to ****. (Through something really extreme like a Zombie Apocalypse) I would like to think that using house hold items I could craft some sort of nice sword or weapon to defend myself! So... show more Okay, first off, the reason I am very curious about this sort of thing is I would like to think that if society ever turned to ****. (Through something really extreme like a Zombie Apocalypse) I would like to think that using house hold items I could craft some sort of nice sword or weapon to defend myself!

So my real question is 'If you were put in a position where the world went to ****, how would you craft a decent sword of some sort?' Be as specific as possible e.g. How to build the furnace? Where to get the materials to make Where to get the hammers and such to do the work? Where to get the metals to make the weapon? Be as pedantic as possible!

Thanks in advance!