Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 7 years ago

Why does bacon grease save way longer than bacon?

Also how long can you save & use bacon grease?

• James

Bacon grease has enough saturated fat to preserve it longer than pure unsaturated fats. Uncooked it's called lard, cooked it's called bacon fat. Saturated fats in general take forever to go bad. Bacon meat itself (cooked or uncooked) has proteins and other components that can make it go south pretty quick (it is meat afterall).

I find that pouring bacon grease into mini ice cube trays, freezing it, and then putting the cubes in an airtight bag, preserves bacon grease for 6 months at least. It's exposure to air that really does the stuff in. Since it's small cubes, it's easy to take out just one or two to melt and use without having to chop it up or thaw the whole batch.

Source(s): BACON!!!!!!!
  • Tigger

Because it has been cooked. Bacon is raw.

You can use bacon grease to grease the pan when cooking to prevent foods from sticking like when frying eggs or meats. You can add a little to cooked rice or noodles to give them flavor. Pour hot grease with a little vinegar and sugar over fresh greens to wilt them into wilted greens, a very good dish'

• doug g

I keep some in the fridge and some in the freezer.

I guess I can't tell when it goes bad.