violin case stamped with "orginal improved trademark"?

An imperial violin was in a case stamped with "original improved trademark."

Favorite Answer

The case was made by the GSB company from Charlestown, New Hampshire and date from the late 1800's to early 1900's.

"George S. Bond, a manufacturer of Charlestown, was born in that town, March 2, 1837, son of Silas and Alice (Abbot) Bond...[In 1880] he bought out the violin case manufactory that had been established in Charlestown. There was but little work done here at first, and he employed but one man. Subsequently he had to enlarge the place, and in 1893 he had forty hands in his employment and was using a fifty horsepower engine. In that year the factory was burned. Eleven weeks later his substantial new factory was ready for business. He has now a sixty horse-power engine, and he employs from twenty-five to thirty-five hands. The factory is said to be the best equipped establishment of its kind in the world, having a capacity of twenty-four dozen violin cases per day. Mr. Bond has dealings with some of the largest firms in this country..."

The case doesn't have any real value, but the violin might. Several companies in Germany and Japan sold "Imperial" violins. Some of these violins today are worth as much as a few thousand dollars.

Source(s): <∞> I have been in the violin business for 40 years and am a retired violin shop owner, violin maker, repairman and violinist. I am no longer in business and don’t sell anything, I just give advice based on 4 decades of experience. For more free information on playing, general violin information, buying an instrument or accessory, repairs, maintenance, appraisals and lots more, check out my information only web site at: http://www.violininformation.webs.com/
  • bacher

Gsb Violin Case

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

violin case stamped with &quot;orginal improved trademark&quot;?

An imperial violin was in a case stamped with &quot;original improved trademark.&quot;

Source(s): violin case stamped quot orginal improved trademark quot: https://bitly.im/PrBrd
  • Aimee

from my experience I have been playing the piano for 15 years I have only been playing the violin well it was kind of off and on for about three years with a violin teacher.I have started again since January I started to take violin lessons.The violin is hard but since I have a background in piano everything that I learn for violin is not that difficult i am not starting from scratch I have applied everything I have learned in my 15 years of piano to violin it really does help to have a background in a different instrument like piano it kind of is not so intimidating I always feel in learning something new in violin that can be really hard but not intimidating. I guess it is always best to start off on instrument that isn't so intimidating and develop fundamentals and skill in order to play the violin it would benefit so much.