What is Guild Wars like?

Sorry if it's too vague, but i'm not sure if it's the game for me. Granted it does look beautiful and the reviews and really good, but is it addicting and fast paced? If someone could please tell me their thoughts and experiences with Guild Wars 1&2, I'd appreciate it.

Favorite Answer

Well, firstly, Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 are completely different games. They're connected strongly by lore, but as far as gameplay, they're very different. I really love both games, but let's take a look at them both.

Guild Wars 1 (including the 4 separate "campaigns") is all about the plethora of "skills" (basically, "moves") you have access to. Each of the 10 classes has between 85 and 144 skills, 8 of which they can equip at one time. In addition, you pick a second "class" soon after character creation, giving you access to up to 286 skills (out of which, again, you must pick 8). The game, therefore, becomes a process of finding out which combination of skills (out of the 1235 skills available) is most useful for a particular situation. The gameplay involves a lot of forethought and planning. It's slightly more of a dead game now, unfortunately, since many players moved on to GW2, but you can still play it either with friends or with AI-controlled NPCs (Henchmen and Heroes).

Guild Wars 2 is very different. In GW2, your skills are based almost entirely on your chosen weapon. A guardian with a staff does little damage, but has access to great heals, whereas that same guardian with a Greatsword becomes an AoE damage machine. As in GW1, you have traits that you can tweak to adjust the specific effects of your skills, and you do get to choose some skills in the way of 3 "utility" skill slots. Combat is much more dynamic, and you'll have to learn how to dodge and position yourself for maximum effect. There are also no (or almost no) quests in GW2. Instead, you simply happen to be in an area and an NPC might shout "Hey, you! Help me with these bandits!" or something. Or, you'd simply see a bunch of bandits running towards you and decide "hey, I'd probly better follow them!". There's also no "holy trinity" (DPS, tank, healer) in gw2, so that changes things up a bit.

Source(s): Experience.