Separation from Church and State?

How does it work? I don't think I'm getting it right at all. Because the biggest argument against gay marriage is "It's against Gods word" and that's cool and all, but is it a valid argument according to the American constitution? Other arguments are somewhat valid, but still weak to me. If it ruined the sanctity of marriage then shouldn't divorce be illegal? I don't think if it gay marriage became legal, it would be made mandatory, so how does it hurt anybody?

Can somebody explain to me please? I'm very confused.

To Eisbar...you are a smarty pants. You're answer was more than perfect.

To Kenny Bragg-I understand your argument, I really do. But not everybody is religious. And it wasn't what I was asking.

Best Answer

It's separation "OF" Church and State, not "FROM."

All it means is that the government cannot make laws that hinder religious beliefs or further a religious goal without a secular purpose. Secular purpose means there is some other purpose not related to religion.

So with that said, the government can make laws that simultaneously promote and/or hinder religious morals/beliefs, as long as it has a secular purpose, and because that is hard to define, the current rule of law tries to follow the Lemon test.

What is that you ask? It's a court case called, "Lemon v. Kurtzman" and that is where the test comes from. Here's the basics:

1. The government's action must have a secular legislative purpose;

2. The government's action must not have the primary effect of either advancing or inhibiting religion;

3. The government's action must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.

And "marriage" is not a religious institution in the U.S. It is a legal one. So I agree, there is no point in denying same-sex couples the same legal protections that "legal marriage" provides in this country, in my opinion. I am at a loss as well. I think it just hits to the core with some, because they feel it somehow makes their marriage less significant. Hogwash if you ask me.

The only way to compromise, is to allow domestic partnerships that provide the same "legal protections." But then we are just fighting over semantics and same sex couples are still upset, because they feel it demeans their marriage by not letting them call it marriage, but then I would argue, you can call it whatever you want in your home, and if you are getting the same legal rights from the government in a domestic partnership, then legally speaking you are not being discriminated against.

Someday it will be recognized, but it will take a while, because there are a lot of intolerant people in the world.

I don't think it works very well at all. Gods Word is the way to go, Because the word bring Faith, And we are saved by Faith through Grace. In God words he said, Man can not live by bread alone, but by every word than proceed from the mouth of God.