Conservatives: Do you hate the Chevy Volt for any real reason, or just because you were told to hate it?

Cons tend to be sheep who let others think for them.

Many Conservatives hate the Chevy Volt simply because various Conservative media pundits put it out there that they're supposed to hate it, as a successful vehicle for GM might make Obama "look good." It does however seem unpatriotic to root against the success of an American vehicle.

Since the Chevy Volt was the Motor Trend Car of the Year for 2011, I'm not sure what the Cons' gripes are about. Clearly it was not a flop.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/car/1101_2011_...

Corrine: Tiny? The Chevy Volt is pretty standard sedan size, and larger than most hybrids.

Best Answer

You have hit the nail on the head with this question - there are no Chevy Volt drivers among the responders (I appear to be the only one). Instead we get all the same wildly incorrect assumptions about Volt that have been endlessly repeated - without verification - all over the media and the internet by non-Volt owners.

*

To address a few that I see on this page:

*

Fires. No volt has caught fire, ever, outside of a test lab (and Volt's crash test fire took a wimpy three whole weeks to get started.) Statistically, Volt is one of the safest cars on the road. The US insurance industry (IIHS) even awarded Volt its "Top Safety Pick" award. If you want to see cars with real-world fire problems, Google "Jeep Wrangler fires" or "Ford Escape fires" or about a dozen other examples.

*

Multiple references to "libs". In fact, a political survey of Volt owners (link below) shows that only 51% lean left - hardly a rousing majority. Plenty of conservatives know the value of saving money on gasoline.

*

Doubt about Volt's awards, Volt "sucks", etc. Here are the awards that matter to me: Volt took 1st place in customer satisfaction surveys from both Consumer Reports and JD Powers. This means that people who actually sit in Volt and drive it think it's the best car they have ever experienced. More people should actually try test-driving the car instead of endlessly repeating made-up assumptions. the only folks who say it "sucks" are people who have never been near one.

*

Really expensive, $40,000, etc. Volt's actual MSRP with all rebates is $31,645. Many, many cars today have prices in this area. And if it's still too much, GM offers amazing lease deals in the summer on Volt - I saw one for $139/month last year. Something else to consider is how much you'll save on fueling (electricity is much cheaper than gas.) A monthly payment that's $100 higher is no big deal if you're saving $150 on your fueling bill.

*

Battery failure. Folks tried to scare us all about battery failure on hybrids, too, but hybrids have been with us for over a decade now, and the batteries aren't failing. A few early Priuses even got up to 400,000 miles on original batteries. Modern battery designs won't fail for a decade or even two decades.

*

Government money. Volt was developed from 2006-2008. That's before Obama and before GM bailouts. So when did the government money show up? Answer: it didn't. The whole "government developed" thing is made up. It was GW Bush who passed EV rebates in 2008 (see link below), but those rebates apply to ALL electric cars, not just Volt. Why the special Volt hate? Why not hate the Nissan Leaf (they took a $1.4 billion US loan, Volt didn't.) Or why not hate the Toyota Plug-in Prius (works the same way Volt does, and they also took a billion in taxpayer money for their US plant.)

*

The answer to all of this is that some in politics and media are indeed manipulating you to hate your own American cars while giving foreign cars a pass.

*

PS: you asked me why I answer mostly EV and Volt questions here on YA. It is the reason I am here on YA. I own a Volt and it gets a very unfair rap. It's a wonderful car, and you all should test drive one.

Source(s): Survey shows many cons also own Volts: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7466-Poll-... Volt wins one of many customer satisfaction awards: http://www.chevroletvoltage.com/volt-blog/18-volt/... George Bush passing the EV rebates (not Obama, and not just for Volt) http://www.dailytech.com/Chevrolet+Volt+to+Receive...

Chevy Volt Sucks

• Bonnie

It's interesting because the impression of the Chevy Volt that I had formed was from what I had read here from people making fun of the car on YA. I thought the Volt was on the same level as the Ford Fiesta; and then I actually went to the site not long ago and was completely shocked to find that the car is very futuristic-looking and waaay out of my price range. I guess there are those who really do so hate that Obama saved the US auto industry that their hatred becomes infectious.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Many Conservatives hate the Chevy Volt simply because various Conservative media pundits put it out there that they're supposed to hate it, as a successful vehicle for GM might make Obama "look good." It does however seem...

Source(s): conservatives hate chevy volt real reason told hate it: https://biturl.im/VS4aF
  • R J

Nope just know how it goes, friends son has one and had to replace a battery for $2,500, the fires and the fact that it's "experimental". Had a Olds 88 with the "new diesel engine and had nothing but trouble and after two replaced engines which GM did I finally got rid of it. Broke down too many times to be worth it and tired of having it towed in to be fixed and arguing with the dealership. Today they are ok but in the first five years they had to get the 'bugs out".

I'll give it a few more years and then when gas is so high we got to use one like they do in Europe will decide then. like Germany puts taxes for things on their gas and it's as high as $8 an gallon or more, same with France and that tax pays for a lot of things and they sure are conservative about gas. the 180 billion gallons of gas we consume each year could pay for a lot with just a 42 tax on it. Health care wouldn't be much of a problem. granted products cost would go up due to transportation costs, but it would even out as more gas would be on the market and consumption would drop, I figure the gas companies with the monopolies would freak out and end up dropping the price to what it should be about $2.40 a gallon and thus offset the tax.,

• none6 years agoReport

Gasoline should be under a dollar a gallon. It's made from a free substance from under the ground. We should grow our own oil though, it would guarantee a planet for our grandbabies.

The Volt is NOT a fire hazard. Get your facts straight people.

The car that caught fire was a crash test car. It was used in two different crash tests, and then caught fire weeks later from the damage.

It has been determined that a gasoline powered car is more of a fire hazard. Have you never seen a car catch fire?

I know Fox news pushed hard to lie about the fire issue, but they aren't telling the whole story.

That answers the question right there. People are using a deliberate lie as justification.

This Volt is not a practical buy. I drive a Honda Civic. I take care of it easy and it looks like new. It has 246.000 miles and I get in the mid 30s mpg all the time. It is a much better car and it did not get any political subsidies. My Honda will be worth more than your Volt when it has high miles, if it could get so many.

• sumpin5 years agoReport

So you prefer hundreds of billions in subsidies to the middle east and troop deployments to keep gas prices "low" rather than developing technology at home for far cheaper? Imagine if the US didn't subsidize it's technology advances. We literally wouldn't have microwave ovens lol. 1382mpg Volt-er.

• I don't specifically hate the Volt, or green cars. I just don't think now is the time to be wasting money on such nonsense.

I say we go with what's practical right now. I also know the whole " environment " movement to be a God to many liberals. I don't have a problem with wanting to look after the environment, I just think liberals go a little overboard on it.

" Since the Chevy Volt was the Motor Trend Car of the Year "

If you think Motor Trend making the Volt car of the year actually makes it car of the year, I have some swamp land to sell to you.

Do you have any idea how much politicing and butt kissing goes on amonst corporations and publications like Motor Trend and GM ?

• none6 years agoReport

The time to worry about the environment was 50 years ago, or 100 years ago. When the first internal combustion engines were firing on plant-made alcohol. We should have kept on that path. But oil is big money. Though we don't have many years left to go on it, and it's killing our air. Raising oceans

• y

The cost to make one is more then the get for it, the taxpayers make up the difference. There are other, much better build electric cars and hybrids on the market that don't cost us anything. The volt will never pay for the initial investment that the tax payers had to pony up for it in the first place. It's another, unnecessary drain on our limited resources due to the vanity of the chosen one.

• none6 years agoReport

All EV's come with a gov't subsidy. Thank your REPUBLICAN's for that....Mr. Bush (the younger one) did that for us. I'm not in favor of it, except the money it saved on my last large purchase :-)

It's overpriced, even with huge Govt subsidy, pollutes toxins from rare earth batteries, high charge time done primarily with fossil fuels , low charge mileage, Fire hazard if in an accident and a high voltage danger to first responders . Poor function and reduced charge time in cold climates. But it was Motor trend Car of the Year! Even with revised down sales projections and rebates they can't give them away. Baaaa.

• sumpin5 years agoReport

Says the guy in favor of funding the middle ease with hundreds of billions of subsidies and deploying troops to keep gas prices "low." Yup, electric cars sure do pollute compared to gas cars huh?! Lol. EV cars with zero/low gas in their tanks sure are combustible compared to gas cars huh??! Bwahaha!