How does a horse make it to the Kentucky Derby?

Like what races do they run are they shown on TV and how much money do you have to pay to enter etc etc how do they make it to the first of the Triple Crown?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Starting this year 2013, we have a new points system called the "Road to the Kentucky Derby" where a specific series of 36 prep races each worth a specific amount of points will decide which horses get in the Derby. A similar system is also in place for the Kentucky Oaks, but fillies who want in the Derby will have to compete in with the colts for Derby points. While those Derby points earned by fillies will also count toward the Oaks, Oaks points will not count towards the Derby.Kentucky Derby Prep Season" - 19 races on dirt or synthetic over distances of at least 1 mile, between late September and late February. There will be two races outside the United States: the Royal Lodge at Newmarket, England (the lone turf race in the series), and the Grey Stakes at Woodbine, Canada, that will also score points These races will award points on a 10-4-2-1 scale. Of the three Breeders' Cup races for juvenile males, only the Juvenile scores points, excluding the Juvenile Turf and Juvenile Sprint from consideration.

"Kentucky Derby Championship Series" - a 3-part series of 17 races on dirt or synthetic surfaces at distances over a mile, traditionally run in the final 10 weeks before the Derby. The first leg of this series includes the Risen Star, Fountain of Youth, Gotham, Tampa Bay Derby, San Felipe, Rebel, Spiral, and Sunland Derby, each offering a 50-20-10-5 point scale. The second leg, worth 100-40-20-10 points, features the Florida Derby, UAE Derby, Louisiana Derby, Wood Memorial, Santa Anita Derby, Arkansas Derby, and the Blue Grass. The final leg are the two "wild cards", the Lexington and the Derby Trial, with a 20-8-4-2 point scale.

The Jockey Club, in collaboration with the NBC Sports Group and six racetracks, will provide live coverage of six major prep races for the 2013 Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands, a 30-minute special previewing the Triple Crown season was on the last two Saturdays in March and the first two Saturdays in April.

The Road to the Kentucky Derby series started with a 30-minute special previewing the televised races and the Triple Crown season. The special aired on NBC Sports Network on Saturday, March 23, from 6 – 6:30 p.m. ET. The racing telecasts kicked off Saturday, March 30, with the Besilu Florida Derby from Gulfstream Park and the Louisiana Derby from Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots which was on NBC Sports Network from 6 – 7 p.m. ET.

The Wood Memorial from Aqueduct Racetrack and the Santa Anita Derby from Santa Anita Park was air on NBC Sports Network on Saturday, April 6, from 6 – 7:30 p.m. ET.

The series concluded on Saturday, April 13, with two and half hours of continuous coverage spread across two networks.

A 90-minute live broadcast was on NBC featuring the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes from Keeneland Race Course followed by a one-hour broadcast on the NBC Sports Network featured the Arkansas Derby. The NBC telecast aired from 4:30 – 6 p.m. ET; the NBC Sports Network telecast will air from 6 – 7 p.m. ET.

All six races fall into the highest tier on Churchill Downs’ new points system determine starters for the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, May 4, on NBC. The points system features 36 stakes races overall and 17 marquee events for 3-year-old Thoroughbreds that comprise a 10-week run up to the first Saturday in May.

As you can see, many of these prep races are in the past now.., showing below are those race and points for 1-4h place horses at far right-

First Leg of Series

Risen Star 1 1/16 M Fair Grounds Louisiana 50 20 10 5

Fountain of Youth 1 1/16 M Gulfstream Park Florida 50 20 10 5

Gotham 1 1/16 M Aqueduct New York 50 20 10 5

Tampa Bay Derby 1 1/16 M Tampa Bay Downs Florida 50 20 10 5

San Felipe 1 1/16 M Santa Anita California 50 20 10 5

Rebel 1 1/16 M Oaklawn Park Arkansas 50 20 10 5

Spiral 1 1/8 M (S) Turfway Park Kentucky 50 20 10 5

Sunland Derby 1 1/8 M Sunland Park New Mexico 50 20 10 5

Second Leg of Series

Florida Derby 1 1/8 M Gulfstream Park Florida 100 40 20 10

UAE Derby 1 3/16 M (S) Meydan Racecourse Dubai 100 40 20 10

Louisiana Derby 1 1/8 M Fair Grounds Louisiana 100 40 20 10

Wood Memorial 1 1/8 M Aqueduct New York 100 40 20 10

Santa Anita Derby 1 1/8 M Santa Anita California 100 40 20 10

Arkansas Derby 1 1/8 M Oaklawn Park Arkansas 100 40 20 10

Blue Grass 1 1/8 M (S) Keeneland Kentucky 100 40 20 10

"Wild Card"

Lexington 1 1/16 M (S) Keeneland Kentucky 20 8 4 2

The Cliff’s Edge Derby Trial 1 M Churchill Downs Kentucky 20 8 4 2

Due to limited room here, at link you can view current Standings/Leaderboard. http://www.drf.com/events/road-kentucky-derby-chur...

I hope I covered all our questions :) Enjoy all source links in text and source box. :)

• 8 years ago

There are 36 prep races divided into 4 parts. Each part awards different points for the 1st - 4th finishers. Here are those races and points... Sorry if I bore your mind with this list :)

PREP RACES start in September (1st-10, 2nd-4, 3rd-2, 4th-1)

Royal Lodge Stakes

FrontRunner (previously the Norfolk Stakes)

Dixiana Breeders' Futurity

Champagne Stakes

Grey Stakes

Breeders' Cup Juvenile

Delta Downs Jackpot Stakes

Remsen Stakes

Kentucky Jockey Club Gold Cup

CashCall Futurity (previously the Hollywood Futurity)

Sham Stakes

Smarty Jones Stakes

Lecomte Stakes

Holy Bull Stakes

Robert B. Lewis Stakes

Sam F. Davis Stakes

Withers Stakes

El Camino Real Derby

Southwest Stakes

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES LEG 1 (1st-50, 2nd-20, 3rd-10, 4th-5

Risen Star Stakes

Fountain of Youth Stakes

Gotham Stakes

Tampa Bay Derby

San Felipe Stakes

Rebel Stakes

Spiral Stakes

Sunland Derby

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES LEG 2 (1st-100, 2nd-40, 3rd-20, 4th-10)

UAE Derby

Florida Derby

Wood Memorial Stakes

Santa Anita Derby

Louisiana Derby

Arkansas Derby

Blue Grass Stakes

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES WILD CARD (1st-20, 2nd-8, 3rd-4, 4th-2)

Lexington Stakes

The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial

Some of these races are aired on regular TV, there are special dish and cable channels I believe that air most of these races. You just have to check with your provider. If you live near a racetrack you could always go watch the simulcast. There's also a really cool app for iPhone and Android called Horse Races Now where you can see some races. You can also watch some tracks online.

Okay, I'll try to include every detail to entering the race, there are a lot! Also, the dates and prices might have changed a little, mine are from '08.

FIRST, the owner has to nominate the horse. There are 3 deadlines to nominate.

Jan. 20th - $600

Mar. 21st - $6,000

After that - $200,000!

This fee is refundable only if over 20 horses were nominated and yours was not selected.

SECOND, selecting the horses to be in the derby...

The top point-earning 20 horses are guaranteed a spot, up to 24 horses can be entered. If horses have a tie in points, the horse who has the most graded-earning is ranked higher. Also, horses that are nominated before Mar. 21st are ranked higher than the horses nominated after, no matter what.

THIRD, entering the horse

It costs $25,000 to enter, and another $25,000 to start. I believe that if your horse is entered, but doesn't start because it was #21-24 you get $25,000 back, but I'm not sure.

I hope I answered everything. It's a heck of a process to get into the Derby!

• JSC
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Great informative Answer from Sandra. Sorry to see you missed so many. I would just like to note that all that's left is the last prep race on Sandra's list-

The Cliff’s Edge Derby Trial 1 M Churchill Downs Kentucky 20 8 4 2

The Cliff's Edge Derby Trial is an American Thoroughbred horse race held this year April 27th, as it is the end of April annually at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. Open to three-year-old horses, the Grade III event is contested on dirt over a distance of 1 mile (8 furlongs). Then the following week, May 4th is the Kentucky Derby..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.