Atheists, are you okay with assisted suicide?

Favorite Answer

It depends on the circumstance. If the person trying to commit suicide is doing so because he/she has a terminal illness and is suffering because of it, then yes. If the person trying to commit suicide is doing so because he/she is suffering from anxiety or depression and simply doesn't see a way out, then no.

• DANIEL

I think yes, but only in cases where the patient considering it has a painful, terminal illness and has gone through an extensive mental health evaluation and has deemed by at least 2 psychologists to be mentally robust enough to fully understand all of their options and the consequences for each option.

Just my opinion. Peace!

Depends on the situation, yes.

Incidentally, a man who jumped from the WTC on 9/11* and became famous as they tried to find out who he was led a crew to a Catholic family. They thought the man might be their husband/father. They were crying because they thought he went to hell for committing suicide (taking his inevitable death into his own hands) instead of dying in agony inside the burning tower at someone else's prescription.

The family found out it wasn't him and was relieved to know he was murdered inside the tower instead of falling from the tower at his own decision. What rotten things religion will make you believe.

* The famous shot of a man gliding downward, head first.

Im guessing Assisted suicide means if you damage someone and they fall of a cliff and die because I play call of duty (kind of sucks)

Answer: yes

I think Dr Kevorkian enjoyed feeling the life ebb from the people he assisted, but I am in favor of doctors or the family doing the right thing

could you please elaborate on what you mean by "assisted suicide."

My preference is "death with dignity."

I have seen people with chronic pain, and with terminal illnesses.

I think they have the right to decide how and when they want to die.

I certainly have no desire to be a burden to my loved ones.

In some cases, yes. If you know for certain that there's no hope for recovery and your pain is becoming unbearable, I think that choice should be available. We let dogs and cats die with dignity and don't let them suffer unnecessarily, so why not humans?

• Johnny

Yes, a person should be free to do whatever he/she will with life, including suicide

• Fantom

Like executions of murderers? Yes.

Yes I am, the ramifications of passing a law on it suck, but I'm fine with the concept.