What did Patrice O'Neal mean when he said British Stand Up is 50 Years behind American Stand up?

I think he was probably referring to the audiences more than the British comics because I don't see much of difference between the very best comedians the UK has to offer and the very best America has to offer. They both seem funny to me. So did Patrice think that UK audiences are some what square? Because the... show more I think he was probably referring to the audiences more than the British comics because I don't see much of difference between the very best comedians the UK has to offer and the very best America has to offer. They both seem funny to me. So did Patrice think that UK audiences are some what square? Because the weird thing is as British person I think there might be a bit of truth to that, I just can't justify why. If you disagree fine I'm just wondering if anyone knows what he meant.
1 answer 1