5hp briggs carb on gas tank only runs with hand covering the carb?

I am disabled and a little slow . I have the problem with craftsman chipper model 247.797854 engine 135212 0272-01 . It ran good a year ago . The gas tank was empty and I ran it dry . Now it starts with starting fluid but will not pull gas from tank . A second strange problem .If I cover the carb with my hand it... show more I am disabled and a little slow . I have the problem with craftsman chipper model 247.797854 engine 135212 0272-01 . It ran good a year ago . The gas tank was empty and I ran it dry . Now it starts with starting fluid but will not pull gas from tank . A second strange problem .If I cover the carb with my hand it will start and run but will not go above idle . I tried a new diaphragm and then a cab kit . Cleaned and soaked everything in car cleaner . I checked both tubes going to tank looked ok.
Put it all back together same problem. Could it be the area the welch plug covers? . If not any idea ?
I am a disabled vet and on 24 hr morphine and had help doing all the work so everything was put bask together.
Update: I have had help taking it apart and cleaning everything as I said that already. Holding my hand over the carb means it is pulling gas from the carb. The high jet I do not know where it is. But if we had pulled the carb all apart and cleaned out with a small wire in all the small openings. I even replaced the tube... show more I have had help taking it apart and cleaning everything as I said that already. Holding my hand over the carb means it is pulling gas from the carb. The high jet I do not know where it is. But if we had pulled the carb all apart and cleaned out with a small wire in all the small openings. I even replaced the tube pick ups that go into the tank. If I can find the high jet maybe I can try cleaning it. I have worked on quite a few in the past but never had this problem before.