ISP's: In the UK surely we'd all be better off with BT because:?

If BT own all the 'copper wire' - i.e. the lines that are rented by people like 'virgin' , 'TALKTALK' and the rest of our internet service providers- then surely it is BT that is in control? BT apparently had an 'outage' that was unscheduled today 20/04/2013 between hornchurch and... show more If BT own all the 'copper wire' - i.e. the lines that are rented by people like 'virgin' , 'TALKTALK' and the rest of our internet service providers- then surely it is BT that is in control?
BT apparently had an 'outage' that was unscheduled today 20/04/2013 between hornchurch and sherchill- this affected my service and my service provider couldn't do anything.

My contract was renewed simply because I was enjoying 5 megabytes speed and now more customers use the service this has slowed.

Surely if BT which is probably a french company- own the lines- then we'd be all safer with them and if we all used them- surely they would make enough money to build new lines that would incorporate technology to give us all decent speeds?

What do you know?
Update: I am with talktalk and spend £30+ a month to get anytime calls including 0845/0870 calls with internet service all in. This was good until recently and now I am looking to have any contract nullified because they don't provide the service they did when I entered the contract (been with them 9yrs) - I am not... show more I am with talktalk and spend £30+ a month to get anytime calls including 0845/0870 calls with internet service all in. This was good until recently and now I am looking to have any contract nullified because they don't provide the service they did when I entered the contract (been with them 9yrs) - I am not confident that anyone can offer better but am appalled that BT can screw with my service anytime they feel like it without prior notice being given.

Any advice and tips are welcome- thanks everyone.
Update 2: I'd like to know more about prices- especially with virgin- what do you all know please and what can I get for a similar price to what i am paying (around thirty quid)?
Thanks for all the answers everyone.