Could wearing a dental night guard for night grinding affect my bite?

I started wearing a dental guard at night cause I grind my teeth. This was even before the dentist suggested it. Well anyways I'm wondering if this could affect my bite. I'm somewhat convinced my teeth look like they have shifted or something. Is this possible? I know my dentist thinks I should get braces... show more I started wearing a dental guard at night cause I grind my teeth. This was even before the dentist suggested it. Well anyways I'm wondering if this could affect my bite. I'm somewhat convinced my teeth look like they have shifted or something. Is this possible? I know my dentist thinks I should get braces again cause of the type of bite I have. I used to be able to get my back teeth together after I had braces when I was younger, but now only the back left will touch if I bite together. I seem to have some type of bite where it's complicated to fix he said. My front teeth touch just fine.
I can't afford braces, but don't want to continue to wear this guard if it has adverse affects. It is a Drs. Night Guard, so I fit it myself, not an expensive one like if I had the dentist make one.