What is the official name for that bridge-like thing you walk up to board a boat?

I want to call it a plank, but I know that's not it. I'm fairly certain they're not stairs, but I figure I might be wrong there.

Favorite Answer

US Navy very often calls it a "brow", which is a very old Dutch word meaning bridge (the Dutch invented an awful lot of sailing and seamanship - their words are everywhere).

Most others call it a gangplank, boarding ladder, depending on exactly how it is built.

it replaced into the mirrored photograph, there have been human beings on the bridge and you appeared all the way down to the river and you observed the mirrored photograph, the bridge replaced into up-part-down so it known like a boat and there have been human beings on the bridge and so it known like there have been human beings in the boat yet there wasnt even a boat. or there could be a boat yet what you observed in the mirrored photograph of the river replaced into the persons on the bridge. or all of them had companions???? i dont understand......i decide for the two...... and of direction, if there's a bridge, there's a river/water and water makes reflections!!!!!

If supplied by the ship and is permanently attached at one end to the ship, it is called a gangway.

If it is supplied by the shore and is only temporarily connected to the ship it is called a gang plank , gangway or brow.

If it is a short piece and is use when the ship and shore are nearly level it is called a brow. On naval vessels it is usually a brow or occasionally a gangway.

Gangway

A gangway, A ramp is the one the vehicles go on...

Gangplank.

it is called a "Ramp" and is known by no other name.

It's a dock

• Dawn W

ramp?