Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How long can you stay in Canada?

Il be visiting Canada with out a visa il be going on a passport idk how long I'm actually staying. If questioned I would like to know before I actually leave how long I can actually stay befor they kick me out

3 Answers

  • bw022
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Entry into Canada depends upon your nationality.

    American citizens may visit Canada for a maximum of 180 days each year. Other countries are typically 90 or 180 days. Many countries require a temporary residency (tourist) visa to enter Canada. The maximum length of time for those depends upon your application, purpose of visiting, funds, and proofing that you will leave Canada. Visitors may not attend school, work, or look for work while in Canada. They may also not obtain driver's licenses, social insurance numbers, health insurance, open bank accounts, etc., etc.

    All entry into Canada is at the sole discretion of Canadian Border Services. They will ask you how long you intend to stay. If you answer any specifically long period of time (more than a couple of months) you will typically draw suspicions of being an illegal worker, being unemployed, not having strong ties to your home country, having a BF/GF in Canada (hence not likely to voluntarily leave when required), etc. It will trigger questions about your job, family, what tourist activities require months in Canada, etc. You can also expect that they will want to see proof of travel medical insurance, bank statements, return plane tickets, proof of employment back in your home country, etc. If they don't like the answers... they can simply deny you entry.

  • 5 years ago

    I am a US citizen, retired with income in excess of $5,000 US per month so will not be working. I have never been convicted of a crime. What are the conditions that I must meet to live in Canada for more than 180 days without immigrating.

  • Jim B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    You left out a VERY important bit of information.................WHAT country are YOU a citizen of ?

    Without that information, no one can help you here.

    Remember that NO ONE is guaranteed admission to Canada. Getting in depends on the decision of the Canadian Border Services agent, who interviews you, when you land in Canada. If he/she decides that you are not admissible, you go back home, that day.

    Jim B


Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.