Who initiates domestic violence more often, men or women?

While far more women report cases of domestic violence, I've heard reports that indicate women actually initiate domestic violence more often than men do or just as often as men do. The thing is, men either brush it off, do the right thing and don't hit her back, but then never report it because he thinks it's minor or because he doesn't want to be humiliated. Or, he hits her back, with more force sometimes, and she reports it. Because she reports it and/or because he hit her harder than she hit him, he gets arrested. If it's true, that women initiate dv as often as men do, why aren't feminists telling women not to hit men? The fact is, weather feminists want to agree with it or not, many women still think it's perfectly fine to hit a man and he shouldn't hit her back. I personally think, if women didn't slap or hit men in the first place, there would be a lot fewer cases of dv towards women. It doesn't matter if it's just a little slap. Domestic violence is domestic violence. If you hit a man and you feel entitled that he won't hit you back, because you're a woman, you are really stupid.

@Bitter, What's wrong with feminists not telling women not to hit men?

@An Apple a Day, I've never hit a woman in my life!!! You don't know me!

Thank you Nicole and Lili, so far you two are the only two women that get it.

Favorite Answer

It is now understood that women initiate domestic violence more often than men. Studies are finally shining the light on this.

Most women do not want to hear this, and this bears out by the female responses here on this question. It will be several years, if ever, to have domestic violence against a man taken seriously.

I completely understand where you're coming from. This also includes cheating. Society (women) like to paint men as the bad guys, the cheaters, the liers, the abusers, the ones who manipulate in order to get into their pants, etc. Where in reality, women are JUST as likely to be unfaithful as men are, some say even MORE likely because women don't get caught as often as men do, just like here. It SEEMS like there are fewer male domestic violence victims than female domestic violence victims, because very few men are even open let a lone will report a domestic violence charge against a woman because a lot of men, unfortunately, are taught at such a young age to always be tough, never show emotion, never show physical or emotional weakness, a man should always be strong, never vulnerable, and so they grow up and get into these abusive relationships and never report it because they don't want anyone to find out their girlfriend beat the hell out of them with her heels or a frying pan. No stereotype intended. ALSO, if you look at the media, I advise you to take a look at some of the commercials on TV. A LOT, and I mean A LOT of commercials on TV today show a man being abused/beaten/hurt in some way, shape or form and we think it's completely hilarious. A man getting hit in the balls with a woman's purse = HILARIOUS, a man shoving a woman = MISOGYNIST.

Source(s): A logical woman who believes in fairness.
  • Blawr

I don't know, but I'd have to say by women. Not because they are more violent, but because there is less of a stigma against female initiated violence. I've heard several females suggest that it is perfectly acceptable for a woman to hit a man.

Bubble:

Do you have a link to that video? How did you know those commenting were MRA's?

Women. Women are at least just as abusive as - if not more so than - men in relationship, but feminists are trying to hide that fact under the rug since they want the mass to believe in the lie that only men commit abuse. It is largely because of feminism's influences and its anti-laws that: many..many... female abusers have gotten away with committing act of violence toward men, and many..many... men have been falsely accused/arrested/imprisoned.

Your right, Feminists should definitiely tell women this simply for the womans own protection. I know girls who were beaten beyond recognition by their boyfriend who was either drunk or just too tempermental to be irritated that way. The majority of the time it was instigated by the girl attacking the guy.

Most domestic abuse from women is verbal, usually not physical(in terms of relationships). More women are seriously damaged from domestic abuse than men(ever heard of a man dying from a beating from his wife? Weapons or poisons don't count). MRAs don't tell men to not hit women either. Actually, MRAs encourage it. I've seen videos of women being hit badly and MRAs saying "she deserved it". And all 'she' did was yell at him because they were fighting. MRAs actually encourage men to hit back women if women hit. Don't thumb down the truth, they told me several times.

• Elana

Women, and here is quite a bit of research to prove it:

http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm

And here's a good little example of why it goes by so unnoticed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFAd4YdQks

Youtube thumbnail

a number of studies suggest women initiate more often than men.

Source(s): bring on the thumbs down !!

If you asking who usually throws the first punch? Men. They are more likely to resolve an argument with violence.

There's little to no way of knowing who initiates it more, genius. That little picture you painted was cute, though. You should write bullsh*t more often.