Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Different Bible Versions ?

Which version of the bible is just like the King James Version but easier to read ?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yet another christian that wants easy answers and an easy read... You're dedicating your views on reality to the easiest to read "Version"?

Why not just get the comic book?

If you want easy answers, why even read the Bible? Just believe the nice things the man at the podium tells you... Comforting lies that make you feel like the world is a simple, understandable place where you're a special little snowflake?

What I want to know is how an omniscient, omnipresent deity can't just TELL his bloody followers his will, rather than allow thousands of men and women over 1400 years to keep changing the rules...

Can't "God" speak for himself?

King James Version (KJV)

The New King James Version (NKJV)

Modern King James Version [Green's Translation] (MKJV)

Literal Translation Version [Green] (LITV)

International Standard Version (ISV)

The New International Version (NIV)

English Standard Version (ESV)

New English Bible (NEB)

American Standard Version (ASV)

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Revised Standard Version (RSV)

New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

Today's English Version (TEV)

The Living Bible (LB)

New Century Version (NC)

New Life Version (NLV)

New Living Translation (NLT)

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

Revised Young's Literal Translation (RYLT)

John Darby's New Translation

Weymouth New Testament Translation

Rotherham's

All these "interpretations" and yet not a nod from your god about the "Truth"... How queer that a god that is said to not have had a problem showing Moses his butt after presenting him with the 10 Commandments can't clear up which of the 40,000+ sects of christianity has things right...

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Well...obviously any Bible that is *exactly* like the King James Version is not going to be any easier to read.

One that is fairly easy to read (8.5 grade reading level) and **very** close to the King James Version is the New King James Version.

However: you can get even closer. Here are some of the "modernized word" KJVs, which use the KJV and only modernize words when it is absolutely necessary to produce the correct meaning. So: these are nearly as hard to read as the KJV, but you probably won't need to keep a dictionary handy to understand them (like you should if you want to properly understand the KJV):

- Third Millennium Bible

- 21st Century King James Version

- 1967 Scofield Study Bible with Changes

- King James Version Easy Reading (available as The Sword Bible, also includes all of the original KJV wording at the end of each verse - so you can see what the "original" KJV says)

The NKJV is rated at 8.5 grade reading level; the KJV is rated at 12.0 grade reading level. If even the NKJV is too difficult for you, then you're out of luck - none of the easier-to-read Bibles that are reputable are very much like the KJV at all. In this case you'll want a parallel Bible (two Bible versions side-by-side in the same book). I recommend the CEV for a very easy-to-read Bible, but if you can't find it side-by-side with the KJV (I don't think you can) then get an NLT/KJV parallel Bible (the NLT is also very easy to read but is more biased and not quite as clear and precise as is the CEV).

- Jim, http://www.BibleSelector.com/

• 7 years ago

There is a version called the New King James Version that u can try. But no matter how many bible versions they are, they all teach the same thing. The differences are very minor & cosmetic & have nothing to do with the message that is being taught. For the Bible was not created to be an encyclopedia or a thesaurus or a history book or a geography book or a nature book. Its main focus is to teach people about God & what he requires from us. In that there is no differences between any of the versions that there exist. But people nitpick over the inconsequential things like the color of Jesus' hair or whether somebody ran or walked.

It is funny that the Bible has been around for thousands of years & all the versions we have today are almost exactly like the original versions. Yet we have science books that exist only 20 years & the amount of changes that are made in each new edition are very drastic. Yet there are some who point their finger at the Bible & criticize it's minor inaccuracies yet bring these other vastly inaccurate books as evidence to refute the Bible.

• DANIEL
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

The NRSV is the English translation used by scholars and serious students of the Bible. It's a very accurate translation with much less bias than many other popular translations. It's also written in very readable modern English. One of the goals of the NRSV committee was to retain, as much as possible, the literary beauty of the KJV.

My background: As a Bible and Theology major, I have read the following English Bible translations and versions (there is a difference) in their entirety: KJV, NKJV, ASV, RSV, NRSV, NIV, NASB, NLT, AMP, and The Message. I The KJV has always been my personal favorite, despite its limitations. However, the NRSV is the translation that I most recommend, and the New Oxford Annotated Bible (with NRSV text) is the ONLY study Bible that I recommend for someone seeking honest, factual, and unbiased information about the Bible. Most (though not all) other "Study Bibles" are less than reflective of scholarship and many only serve as shameful apologetical propaganda for a particular theological position or denomination.

Anyways, I hope that helps. Peace!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • NISSI
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

A Parallel Bible may be what you are looking for dear

It has 4 - different translations side by side, by side for cross reference easier to read comparisons. King James Version , American Standard Version, New International Version , and also Amplified Version.

• 7 years ago

New King James Version

It's written in modern English, but using the same manuscripts. Buy one and compare them. you can compare them online too. However, if you're trying to improve your vocabulary and writing style, read the KJV as much as you can, and just pull out the NKJV (or a dictionary) for the words you're unsure about as far as meaning.

• 7 years ago

You can learn God's truths through any Bible.

King James is OLD English, so you want one in MODERN English.

Even more important, you want one that MOST ACCURATELY translates the original meaning of the text.

This article is very helpful in this regard:

"How Can You Choose a Good Bible Translation?"

- From One Extreme to the Other

- Are Word-for-Word Translations Best?

- What About Free Translations?

- Why the Need for Caution?

-Finding the Best Translation

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2008327

This is a graph with the accuracy rating of the various Bibles:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040602211507/http://h...

I mostly use the one on the top of that list.

You can read & listen to it here:

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/

• I would recommend the New American Standard Bible if you are having difficulty with the KJV.... I prefer the KJV.... I recommend you get a good dictionary and keep in the KJV.... there are so many versions in English alone that it gets quite complicated....... DO NOT use the NIV... or the one called The Message Bible

I invite you to read a page from my site on my POV on The Bible..... if you have any questions on the basics feel free to contact me....

http://www.thisismikesplace.com/Bible.html

• 7 years ago

Halleluyah scriptures is probably the most accurate that i've read so far and easiest to read after you get used to a few hebrew words (has a small dictionary in the back of the book).

You can find that here if your interested:

http://www.halleluyahscriptures.com/

You can also download the ebook of it for free if you want to test read it:

http://www.halleluyahscriptures.com/ebooks-for-stu...

• 7 years ago

Two good ones. 1. The NASB 2. The ESV

Source(s): Stimpy clearly has no clue of what you're talking about. https://www.youversion.com/bible/59/rom.3.esv
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.