Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 8 years ago

What modern music could a romanic era classical fan listen to?

Let me put it to you this way: 1 Beethoven, 2 Wagner, 3 Shubert, 4 Sibelius, 5 Haydn. The modern music the way that I listen to modern music is one that moves along with caprice. That is my entire catalog of modern bands (Led Zeppelin, Counting Crows, Nirvana, Neil Young and Grizzly Bear) I only ever enjoy on odd sorts of occasions, especially depression. Would I even say that I like these bands? to 2 of which, I'd say yes. The rest ... nah, not really. I find a lot of people, mostly Beethoven fanatics, agree with my tastes, so there are some people who are reliable for this sort of question - besides I would not be asking the question if nobody else would find this question-answer thing useful. So that you get a better idea of my tastes, I'm going to write: "Baroque music is mundane, and tedious. I'd say that Haydn and Mozart were baroque, but lacked the lack of ambition to at least seek a complete song, an idea or some sort of human element. Sibelius and Wagner I love for there almost cartoonish drama and Shubert and Beethoven just ... well ... they have everything - if not, at least on an abstract level. So are there any good modern musicians out there? Beethoven fans?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • petr b
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sibelius was a 'conservative' late romantic, falling under 'modern' dates.

Ditto Rachmaninoff - try any of the piano concerti, symphonies, symphonic poem, "Isle of the Dead," "Symphonic Dances," etc.

Carl Nielsen, also late romantic within the 'modern' period. Symphony No. 4, No. 5.

Prokofiev is 'modern' with a lot of leftover 'late romnantic/ traits, including lyricism and a strong melodic sense. Piano Concerto No 3, Violin Concerto Nos 1 & 2, Symphonies, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENh_ck7_5uQ

Youtube thumbnail

Shostakovich, more acerbic at times, yet more 'old fashioned' than Prokofiev - try his more than famous Symphony No. 5.

Gustav Mahler ~ Symphonies No. 1, 4, 9, Song Cycle "Das Lied von der Erde."

Richard Strauss ~ Four last songs, for Soprano and orchestra.

Samuel Barber -- 'Modern,' very lyric, and late romantic. wrote much more than 'Adagio for strings' --

Violin Concerto / Piano Concerto / "Knoxville, summer of 1915' for soprano and orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdRD6gEa9CY

Youtube thumbnail

Howard Hanson ~ Symphony No. 2, 'Romantic' - not my cuppa, but comes up in similar recommend lists nearly all the time.

Best regards.

• 8 years ago

Rachminoff concerto for piano is rlly good.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.