How to clean a clear retainer?

I have a clear retainer. The orthodontist says not to use toothpaste, just brush it with a toothbrush and use a bleach solution once a month. But the retainer stinks after days, and I brush the retainer 4+ times per day and use a new toothbrush, that I soak in Listerine before scrubbing, on it once a week. I also... show more I have a clear retainer. The orthodontist says not to use toothpaste, just brush it with a toothbrush and use a bleach solution once a month. But the retainer stinks after days, and I brush the retainer 4+ times per day and use a new toothbrush, that I soak in Listerine before scrubbing, on it once a week. I also never put it in the gross and dark retainer case.

Is it OK/safe to basically ignore these instructions? The disgusting retainer is making my teeth yellow and stain, so I'm not wearing it as often as I should. Like, can I use bleach every week, soak it in non-alcoholic mouthwash everyday (or Listerine), use denture cleansers, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and brush with toothpaste? I have a clear plastic retainer, I don't care about cloudiness or coloring, only if the plastic might get weak b/c of all the chemicals.