Opinion for Secondary HDD?

Hello guys,

I need an advice on purchase of secondary HDD. I am planning to by a 3TB SATA III HDD

First I would like to tell you guys my present relevant PC Config:

Processor: Intel Core i7 - 2600K

Mobo: Asus P8Z68 - V PRO/GEN3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

SSD: 90GB Corsair Force GT SATA III (Primary Boot Drive)

HDD: 1. Seagate 250GB SATA II

2. Seagate 500GB SATA I

I use this computer for two main purposes: Mediocre Gaming & Heavy Photo Editing

I went through the choices I had. I am pretty much Impressed with the Barracude 3TB drive[Model: [ST3000DM001]. Barracuda XT seems better but the question is do I need that much performance?

The only issue I am facing is in India the drive has just 1 year warranty and that scary!

So should I go with Barracuda model or do I have better choices according to my usage?

Cheers,

Thanks in Advance

Update:

I am not into video editing at all, Just photo editing..

Also do I need the XT version? Even M voting for Barracuda plain :)

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

Seagate are preferred over any other brand because they are reliable, fast and trustworthy.7200RPM is Quite a good speed.Avoid WD : Many user reviews said that WD HDD's fail or are found dead on the same day they're first used although they have 2 years warranty. So better go for Barracuda.I'm myself using Seagate since nearly 1year until now, not a single problem. The price is Rs. 8599 on Flipkart. The specs are:

Model ID ST3000DM001

OS Compatibility Windows 7

Drive Configuration

Device Desktop

Device Type 3.5 Inch HDD

Drive Capacity 3 TB

Spin Speed 7200 rpm

Interface SATA 6.0 Gbps

Cache Memory 64 MB

Transfer Rate 210 Mbps

I/O Transfer Rate 600 Mbps

Average Latency 4.16 ms

Average Seek Time 8.5 ms (Read), 9.5 ms (Write)

Non-recoverable Read Error 1 per 10^14

Reliability 300000 (Load/Unload Cycles)

System Requirements

Compatible OS Windows 7

Power

Standard Input Voltage 12 V DC

Maximum Start Current 2 A

Idle 5.4 W

Power Consumption 8 W (Read/Write), 0.75 W (Standby/Sleep)

Operating Conditions

Operating Temperature 0DegC to 60DegC

Non-Operating Temperature -40DegC to 70DegC

Operating Humidity 5 % - 90 %

Non-Operating Humidity 5 % - 95 %

Shock Tolerance 80 Gs for 2 ms (Operating), 300 Gs for 2 ms (Non-Operating)

Other Features

Seagate OptiCache Technology, Seagate AcuTrac Technology, Seagate SmartAlign Technology

Dimensions

Dimensions 101.6 x 26.1 x 146.99 mm

Weight 626 g

Warranty

Domestic Term 1 Year

Source(s): www.flipkart.com
  • 7 years ago

Seagate Barracudas are pretty damn reliable drive. If you want a longer warranty, WD Blacks have from memory a 5 year warranty though they do cost a little more but no, they do not perform better. Stay away from WD Blues - I've seen into an IT department that has about 1200-1300 Dell netbooks - 1 in 4 to 1 in 5 come back with a dead hard drive within 6 months.

• Marduk
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Sounds good to me but make sure you have 64 bit OS or all you can access is 2 TB. Also 1 year is standard now everywhere and why are you scared it is only one year? No matter what warranty if you don't back up the drive you lose your data which is more scary. I have 3 external drives each with a copy of my data. The data is important not the drive.

• 7 years ago

I recommend you to go with Seagate Barracuda 3TB it doesn't have any problem in fact it is the best hdd.According to me.Come on you need that much performance for heavy video editing.Hdd matter doesn't come over here Ram matters here I think you need to update your ram to 16Gb.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

maybe you should go suck a pee pee

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.