Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Without natural selection were is evidence of evolution?

Very few people realize that natural selection isn't apart of evolution. Edward Blyth a creationist came up with the theory 22 years before Darwin. There isn't one case of an animal changing into another animal EVER! Where is the fact in evolution?

Update:

where*

Update 2:

Again there is no evidence what so ever we evolved from bacteria. Re-CREATING something in a lab is just that. It is re-creating like God would.

Natural selection is essentially genes in our DNA that aren't active eventually coming out.

Update 3:

Again there is no evidence what so ever we evolved from bacteria. Re-CREATING something in a lab is just that. It is re-creating like God would.

Natural selection is essentially genes in our DNA that aren't active eventually coming out.

Update 4:

Eat slp: We eat way better than we did in 1800's I hope you're joking.

Update 5:

M.L: All those "huge examples" and you cant name one. You're fooling yourself.

Update 6:

Ricardo: So funny you can't name ONE ANIMAL THAT HAS.

Update 7:

Ricardo: Getting a Nobel Prize today is a joke. Obama got one for crying out loud.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course one kind of animal has turned into another kind. About 50 years ago, Henriette Lakes got infected with human papilloma virus, that inserted its DNA into some of her cervical cells. The infection caused a new combination of genes that turned the merged cell and virus into a new animal life form. It is single celled and immortal.

Just before this new form of life killed Ms. Lacks, a sample was removed from her body and grown in a lab. This new animal proved to be very vigorous and doubles its population about every day, if it is well fed. For a long time it was called HeLa, after the name of the woman killed by it, and who's DNA it still carries. Eventually, it was given the species name, Helacyton gartleri. The only natural selection involved in the origin of this new species was the rare happenstance that a little of the entire world's population of it it was moved to a lab nutrient solution, before it all died, inside Ms.Lacks dead body.

It is one of the most thoroughly studied life forms on the planet and has been part of most biology and medical research since its first discovery, starting with a big part in the development of polio vaccine. Literally tons of these tiny animals have been grown.

Few people realize that our closest genetic relative is not chimps but a tiny amoebe-alike animal.

HeLa is also a lesson why everyone you love should be immunized against the human papilloma virus and what it might do to your cells.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

• range
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

This assumes that logic is "programmed into" the universe as a substitute of simply arising naturally from the truth that, at least at a macro scale the place the legislation of colossal numbers ideas, the universe is consistent. Evolution is a manufactured from that consistency like the whole thing else. Technically people are apes, and no apes didn't made up our minds to have a mind with a more advanced capacity for abstract concept that used to be just an adaptation that came about randomly and that was once positive. We do not absolutely realise it yet when you consider that we now have but to accumulate all viable data on the discipline and analyze it.

• 7 years ago

Natural Selection is common sense.

When there are too many organisms in an environment, will all of them survive? No. Who will survive? The "fittest". If a cheetah is really fast, how is it going to be eaten? It can also eat other animals easily. Reproduction doesn't occur until later in life for most animals, (there may be some that can do it instantly, but I wouldn't know). So, if you get eaten, you won't ever reproduce unless you're really lucky. The ones who do survive, will reproduce.

Will you bet that the Cleveland Browns go to the Superbowl? Hopefully not. This is because good teams go. Good teams have good players (traits). They win games (survive). They just don't reproduce.

There is variation in species. There is variation between you an your parents. Who are you to say that traits harmful to ones survival doesn't cause the animal to get killed? And one that helps them to survive doesn't live longer? If I got a trait that gave me immortality, eventually, everyone in the world would have it. The ones that don't will die, and the ones that do won't. (Please don't use my exaggeration as an argument against me. I'm just trying to illustrate the relationship between surviving and reproduction etc.)

The result of this is evolution. Natural Selection explains how it happens. If the idea of design never existed, natural selection would be more of an epiphany than a theory.

Who cares if a creationist came up with the theory? Darwin was a very devout Christian. His findings scared him, and he was unsure of what to think of all of it.

Without natural selection, evolution would not exist.

Think of it this way. Imagine that people used to use coin flipping to settle arguments because thy believed God would choose which side the coin landed on, as a way of settling the debate. Then, someone comes up with the "50-50 theory". He says that the coin will land on one side or the other; that it has a 50% chance to land on either side. Then people freak out and say that if you flip it twice, it can land on heads twice, or that one side is heavier than the other etc. Today, this isn't controversial at all. If it were believed to be controlled by God, I guarantee people would disagree with it, and this question would say "Without chance, where is evidence of 50-50?" "There isn't one case where someone flipped it 100 times, and it alternated between heads and tails."

By the way, I'm hoping you don't think people believe a monkey gave birth to a human. We slowly got these traits, which is why we are so similar. We're similar to all animals in that we have four limbs (two legs, two arms, or two wings), two eyes, two nostrils, one mouth, two ears, major organs, etc. These are important for living. If I was born limbless, and if we still competed to survive, I would not live long enough to pass on some kind of limbless gene (which doesn't exist).

The reason animals don't evolve into having 3 arms (which would be even better than two), is because it's too late for that to happen. We would've had to have had something similar to a 3 arm while we were a lot smaller.

Really doubt you are understanding/accepting this. This answer is for people on the fence, or are willing to open their mind to reason.

Source(s): Evolution is too slow for me to give an example that you believe, so here is bacteria b/c they don't have as many traits, making noticeable change occur quicker. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14094-bacter...
  • 7 years ago

Edward Blyth a creationist came up with the theory 22 years before Darwin.

- Since Darwin there have been 3.5 million facts discovered, try to deal with reality.

There isn't one case of an animal changing into another animal EVER!

- And only brain dead fundies EVER say that. If that were to happen then it would disprove evolution, but then what fundie has even the slightest idea about evolution.

Where is the fact in evolution?

- Try reading something intelligent rather than fundie captions, you would know.

- Why is it that you, collectively, seem to have more information than thousands of Phd's and dozens of Nobel Prize winners.

- Sorry, I missed your Nobel Price ceremony for proving that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sídhe
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

>> "Very few people realize that natural selection isn't apart of evolution."

Because it **IS** a part of the mechanics of evolution

>> "Edward Blyth a creationist came up with the theory 22 years before Darwin."

Good for him.

>> "There isn't one case of an animal changing into another animal EVER!"

Except for huge number of examples that we have. Although I do get a chuckle at the thought of packs of wild chihuahuas terrorising the ankles of mammoths.

>> Where is the fact in evolution?

In about , oh, a metric butt-ton of evidence.

• 7 years ago

Natural selection is a mechanism of evolution. What are you talking about?

Edit- "Natural selection is essentially genes in our DNA that aren't active eventually coming out". No, Natural selection is a process by which organisms with favorable traits survive to pass on their genes.

• James
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes it is. Life evolves by selection, be it natural, artificial, or sexual.

Speciation has been observed in nature, as with stickleback fish or underground mosquito. The process of speciation has also been reproduced using artificial selection in laboratory conditions, most notably with fruitflies, in which a new species can be bred in as few as eight generations.

• 7 years ago

Charles Darwin revealed how evolution works, but not what it really means.

Evolution is no longer just a theory; it has been proven true beyond a reasonable doubt. The problem is, even people who believe evolution is true disassociate themselves from the process. They somehow skipped all the lower forms of animal life and just started out at the top of the evolutionary ladder.

The evidence says we evolved as life evolved.

Human beings did not just appear at the top of the evolutionary ladder to reap the benefits of those millions of years of evolution without having to live through it.

In other words, you were those other animals.

You had to be lower animals to be a human now. You lived as all the different animals in your evolutionary line. You lived through millions of years, and millions of lives and deaths to get to where you are now. That's what Darwin's book means.

In addition to the fossil evidence, the genetic code proves that all animals, including us, evolved from bacteria over the last 700 million years on earth.

In other words, you were a microbe, an insect, a fish, a dinosaur, an ape...

• Johnny
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

OH, how interesting. Let's call all the biologists in the world and say that natural selection isn't a part of evolution. But you are trolling, right?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

People will give you links, give you book references, you won't read them, and you'll re-post the same crap.

I mean, really. People HAVE presented you links, book references, many times in the past.

If you had read ONE of them, you would at least have had new and more intelligent questions to ask.

You haven't read them, you haven't asked new questions. You are an ignorant child, and yet you expect people to take you seriously just because you use a lot of capital letters.

Respect the forum enough to at least read people's references, and write a question that's relevant to material from at least this generation of researchers.

Otherwise shove off.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.