How long does a ow company have before they can re-title/sell your car in Florida?

Was storing a car at a friends lot until I had a place to keep it, due to license/registration issues. When I finally had a place to keep it and called to let him know..he stopped answering. So I called the local police and they said the car was impounded on Feb 1st and when I checked the title online...it is no... show more Was storing a car at a friends lot until I had a place to keep it, due to license/registration issues. When I finally had a place to keep it and called to let him know..he stopped answering. So I called the local police and they said the car was impounded on Feb 1st and when I checked the title online...it is no longer titled/registered to me. Said new title was on March 13th.

How Long does a tow company have until they are able to claim the vehicle...by re-titling it and/or selling it?? I never received ANY notification. I would imagine they would at the very least have to let you know by mail or phone. What is the law...for how long they have and if/how many times they have to notify you??

I'm super freaked out, since the title is no longer in my name. A damn scary thing to see. I HAD NO CLUE ANY OF THIS WAS GOING ON...otherwise I definitely would have acted accordingly. Thought the car was safe with my "buddy"

Please PLEASE...just give me the facts as pertaining to the law, etc. I need to know before I call tow company that is supposed to have it. Want to be prepared...especially if I have to involve the police. The lady on the phone with police dept. did not know the answer, as to how long they have etc.

Vehicle is located in Pinellas County, Florida. and is a 1985 chevy s-10 but in great condition. I'm sooooooo very freaked out and need any help possible.

Also, should I maybe contact a lawyer? If so, is there a good local lawyer with free consultation in the Manatee/Pinellas County area??

PLEASE HELP!!! You'd think be able to just google and find out the exact law for the state/city but of course..nothing is that easy. I don't get how they can just re-title or possible sell my truck without me knowing ANYTHING about any of it?!?!?!?????
1 answer 1