Question for vegans/vegetarians who think that humans should not eat meat because it's not natural?

Why do we have enzymes in our blood that assist specifically in breaking down animal proteins, oils, and fats? We have a separate set for breaking down proteins, oils and fats from plants. And why don't humans have a reaction to eating raw meat, like people who're lactose intolerant can't eat dairy... show more Why do we have enzymes in our blood that assist specifically in breaking down animal proteins, oils, and fats? We have a separate set for breaking down proteins, oils and fats from plants. And why don't humans have a reaction to eating raw meat, like people who're lactose intolerant can't eat dairy because their ancestors weren't acclimatized to it? Me and people I know have eaten raw meat quite a few times and it's fine, and we're quite fit and healthy and we stay that way. I know several people who have reached a ripe old age in full possession of their mental faculties who didn't skimp on the meat either. The Japanese eat raw fish all the time, it's part of the national cuisine. And I know of several European dishes that use raw meat as well.

And importantly, every society, prehistoric or modern, eats or has left evidence (in the form of spear and arrowheads, buffalo jumps, paintings of hunting scenes, and cracked bones, etc) that they ate animals, often raw.

If you're a vegan/vegetarian, but don't think it's unnatural to eat meat and have no problem with others doing it, I salute you good sir/ma'am. And I appreciate any answers I get.

Here is a page detailing the enzymes in our bodies, if you're interested.
http://www.enzymestuff.com/basicswhichenzyme.htm
Update: @ Jake: I have. There's a thriving community of them on the internet and in Vancouver where I live. I assume that there are other communities as well.
Update 2: @ FruityDreams: I'm aware of the moral arguments against eating meat, and I think that they contain several good points although I don't personally subscribe to them. You mentioned factory farming, for example, which I am very aware of and try to avoid. I kill and butcher my own meat when I can so you can... show more @ FruityDreams: I'm aware of the moral arguments against eating meat, and I think that they contain several good points although I don't personally subscribe to them. You mentioned factory farming, for example, which I am very aware of and try to avoid. I kill and butcher my own meat when I can so you can rest assured that I am very aware of where it comes from. But this isn't a question about morals. This is about biology.
Update 3: @ Vegan: Don't you think that other carnivores would probably end up with hardened arteries as well if they lived for 70 to 80 years, much of that spent in a chair? We're one of the longest lived animals on the planet and the hardening of the arteries tends to be something that builds up over the years and... show more @ Vegan: Don't you think that other carnivores would probably end up with hardened arteries as well if they lived for 70 to 80 years, much of that spent in a chair? We're one of the longest lived animals on the planet and the hardening of the arteries tends to be something that builds up over the years and gets into full swing during late middle age, so around the time that the arteries in question are about 50 years old. Most carnivores simply don't live that long and lead very active lives. Other animals are known to fall prey to hardening arteries as well, such as wild dogs and cats. This means that hardening of arteries does not only affect humans, it also affects other animals who eat meat and have specifically evolved to be predators. Low amounts of exercise, old age, genetic predisposition, obesity, diabetes, and smoking are all strongly linked to the hardening of the arteries too. It's not something that only affects those of us who eat meat, and eating animal p
Update 4: Disregard that last bit after the comma, don't know how that got there.
Update 5: @ Friendofchip: Normally I'm fairly respectful while talking to vegans and vegetarians. As I've said, I think you have some good points (such as the disgusting immorality of factory farms) , even though I don't subscribe to all of them. That said, I'm taking off the gloves for you, buddy. Firstly,... show more @ Friendofchip: Normally I'm fairly respectful while talking to vegans and vegetarians. As I've said, I think you have some good points (such as the disgusting immorality of factory farms) , even though I don't subscribe to all of them. That said, I'm taking off the gloves for you, buddy.

Firstly, I take it then that you've never heard of ikizukuri, sashimi, odori emi, and others. Not to mention the fact that dozens of cultures use raw fish in food. I can provide links for all of them if you want.

The studies that suggest that vegans or vegetarians live longer have an agenda. They are one sided and not recognised within the medical profession. Veg/vegans (the holier-than-thou ones like you, anyway - most of them are great people) tend to compare how great they are to unhealthy omnivores who eat nothing but rubbish. Living healthily or longer is much more than diet, its has to do with genetics, stress, exposure and lifestyle, and so on. Healthy omnivores often li
Update 6: ve just as long as healthy vegetarians. That said I know some vegetarians and vegans who are constantly shivering like leaves, and are often sick, and could get blown over in a gentle breeze. I also know meat eaters who are fat slugs. I know several people in their 80's and early 90's who are still... show more ve just as long as healthy vegetarians. That said I know some vegetarians and vegans who are constantly shivering like leaves, and are often sick, and could get blown over in a gentle breeze. I also know meat eaters who are fat slugs. I know several people in their 80's and early 90's who are still independent and living in their own homes, and few or none of them are vegetarians. In the same way, I know healthy vegetarians and healthy meat eaters. Vegans and veggies don't have a monopoly on healthy.

Looking at the link you provided, I see that you misunderstood. What it says is that enzymes for meatwork live in the lower intestine, whilst enzymes for plantwork live in the stomach. This makes sense because plants are harder to digest than meat, for all animals, so a bit of extra time to digest the plants in the stomach is welcome and needed. It is not evidence that we are plant eaters. It is not even close to that. You are grasping at straws.

Proof that humans are natura
Update 7: l meat eaters? B12. You need B12 to stay healthy and B12 is NOT found naturally in any plant foods. Period. End of argument. The Vegan Society says you should supplement for B12. They started the whole vegan thing. Do you think they don't know what they're talking about? VRG, probably the largest vegan... show more l meat eaters? B12. You need B12 to stay healthy and B12 is NOT found naturally in any plant foods. Period. End of argument. The Vegan Society says you should supplement for B12. They started the whole vegan thing. Do you think they don't know what they're talking about? VRG, probably the largest vegan resource on the net says you should supplement for B12. Do you think they don't know what they're talking about? VeganHealth and the veganRD, are both sites run by registered dietitians who promote the vegan diet. And they both say you ~must~ supplement for B12 if you want to stay a healthy vegan, particularly if you want to have children. We wouldn't have lasted long as a species if we couldn't have healthy children. This invalidates your cholesterol argument, not to mention the fact that we need to get a certain amount of our cholesterol from outside sources - probably about 15%.

I'm a subhuman beast if I eat meat, eh. You might want to get off of your high
Update 8: horse before you run out of oxygen, bro. It must be pretty thin at that altitude. Everything dies. Everything is eaten, it's just a matter of when and how. Hell, when I die, however it happens, I plan on being cut up and thrown into the woods so that I can get eaten myself. Life and death aren't special or... show more horse before you run out of oxygen, bro. It must be pretty thin at that altitude. Everything dies. Everything is eaten, it's just a matter of when and how. Hell, when I die, however it happens, I plan on being cut up and thrown into the woods so that I can get eaten myself. Life and death aren't special or sacred. I know for a fact that you don't think life is sacred, because you are fine with the fact that the smallpox virus has been eradicated. You are fine with the fact that scientists are working around the clock to eliminate the HIV virus - which is only doing what it is in it's nature to do. You are fine with killing the bacteria that make you sick, and you are fine with killing millions of mosquitos every year who only want to lay eggs and are unaware that they are malaria carriers. Unless you're crazy, you're fine with killing man-eating animals, or termites that eat the foundations of houses. You're fine with eating the organisms that settle on your
Update 9: food in the few minutes between it coming out of the oven and entering your stomach. Me and you are not different, as much as you want to believe we are. Life is life. Nothing has a right to it. We just have it till it's gone. Nor is death anything special. It's just something that happens.
Update 10: I'm just going to re-emphasize that I have no problem with most vegans and vegetarians, and most of you guys have good answers. It's only the ones that imply that they're somehow more than human that annoy me.
Update 11: And just a quick response to the intestinal claims - Our intestine is about eight times our body length. This puts us at about midway between cats, whose intestines are about 3 times their body length, and cows, whose intestines are about 20 times their body length. As a separate point, plant eaters can digest... show more And just a quick response to the intestinal claims - Our intestine is about eight times our body length. This puts us at about midway between cats, whose intestines are about 3 times their body length, and cows, whose intestines are about 20 times their body length. As a separate point, plant eaters can digest cellulose, the main component of plant tissue. But cellulose just makes people sick.

I think that there is a lot to be said for vegetarian food, but it gets annoying when people take the argument over a cliff.
Update 12: @ Snooki: *salutes