Is STP Motor Oil a Good Oil to use on my Vehicle?

My Daily Driver is a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ with the Magnum (5.2 Liter V8) it has a 182,XXX miles it has been running just fine ever since i bought it in Sep 2009. I have been using mostly Mobile synthetic High Mileage 5W30 and 10W30 I change my Oil and Filter myself every 3 months it does burn a small amount given the Vehicles almost 20 years old with over 180,000 miles i expect a little bit to burn. I usually add a little bit once a month to replace the little burnt oil.

I see the STP Motor Oil at Autozone,Dollar General and a few places just wondering is it Good Oil to use even on a High Mileage Daily Driver like mine?????? or just to add once a month to replace the small amount of oil that gets burnt??????

When are the Best Seasons to use 5W-30 or 10W-30 the 5W-30 is Thinner right? or do i have the viscosity scale backwards?

Several Mechanics have told me that the Magnum V8 in my ZJ is a 'DAMM GOOD MOTOR" I want to keep it that way

Favorite Answer

STP motor oil meets API requirements. It does not contain the additive STP.

You can use 5w- 30 year round anywhere in US.

Stick with the Mobil1. The 30 part is at operating temp. The 5 only matters on start up in cool weather.

STP motor oils conform to all America Petroleum Institute (API) standards. Some of the synthetic grades (0w-20 0w-30 and 5w-30) also conform to, what is supposed to be the more rigorous, GM dexos standard.

STP motor oils meet every technical standard that Mobil-1 does. But, STP motor oils have not been around as long and don t spend as much on advertising and marketing. If you are a slave to the media, you ll have to continue to use Mobil-1. If you want to save money, you can confidently use STP.

Sticking with 10w-30 is going to continue to work. When my car starting burning oil with over 200K miles, my mechanic recommended 20w-50 motor oil.

• Erika

Stp Motor

You can mix and match synthetic and conventional oils all day with no problem. As long as they are the same viscosity it really doesn't matter. Yes, 100% synthetic will offer a lot more protection, but you can mix them without any harm.

I would not recommend an engine flush. It could very well dislodge too many particles at once and clog a vital part of your engine. Just continue to use Mobil 1 like you have been doing and change it frequently. Let the oil do it's job of lubricating and cleaning your engine. 6000-7500 mile oil change intervals are good to stick to.

You're using Mobil 1..which is synthetic oil. Whatever you do, don't add regular oil..stick with synthetics only!!! They should not be mixed. If you wish to add an additive, Lucas makes one formulated for synthetic oil.

Mobil 1 5w30 should be fine all year long. And you are correct on the viscosity. The 5 is the thin factor..gets into the upper part of the engine(especially on cold days) faster on start-up. Stick with what you're using, though with synthetic oil, if it isn't dirty, you don't need to change it as often...every 6,000 miles should do the trick. But if your oil change schedule is working for you, go ahead and stick with it. Whatever brand, just make sure you stick with full synthetic oil.

Oh...one more thing. Don't go cheap on the oil filter with that high mileage engine. Use the better grade filter whatever retailer you buy from.

Special "high mileage" oil is a scam. Continue to use quality name brand oil at good intervals and you will be fine.

Some say oil is oil... I stick to brands, mobile one or Quaker state. I've become an advocate for seafoam, check it out