Move back to Bangladesh after graduating college or stay back in the US?

So I will be getting a BS degree in management and marketing from the University of South Florida. Back home my dad is involved with the garments industry (his company exports materials just as polo shirts, t- shirts, hoodies made out of pure cotton) and he wants me to take over the family business as he wants to retire. The problem with me is I'm absolutely in love with America and at the same time I do not want to upset him. What should my next step be? Thanks

Favorite Answer

You are in love with America more than you love Bangladesh??Do you know the history of Bengal?You dont love your 3000 year old culture and history and love a 200 year old country whos culture is exactly the opposite of what you grew up with? Maybe thats why our nation is so backwards.....anyways, Please dude, I beg you, I want the polo shirts your dad exports. I will pay you, but please, give em to me and I am serious, email me dude..........To answer ur question, I think you should work here for a while, maybe 3/4 years, grow out of your love and then go back to Bangladesh with money and stuff so that your dad cant say that you stood on his ground, not your own.

• Hafiz

The decision is yours since you have the complete pictures and parameters known to you based on those you can decide. As far as I can see the situation about your coming and taking over the family business from your father, I would say that take at least one more year to decide. This is because right now Bangladesh is going through many uncertainties wherein we have almost law and order rivaling to those of poor African countries to take the championship.

The market is jittery due to many decisions taken by the government after the serious of financial irregularities, malpractice and thievery being perpetuated by the people who are connected with the present government of Awami League (AL), as widely believed here and alleged by the opposition parties. The AL may try to hold the next general elections under their aegis or control, that would be vehemently opposed by the present opposition party BNP. There is expected to be major confrontation unless AL shows some real 'statesmanship' and brings situation under control and a win-win situation for all involved.

Having such volatile situation prevailing now in BD it would be wise for you to stay where you are and then make the decision to come and join your family business when it would be appropriate and proper.

Hope above helps.

Stay where you wish to be. Go to US.