Fahim asked in HealthMental Health · 7 years ago

Is it weird that I treat inanimate objects like living objects ?

Hi, I have this weird mentallity about inanimate objects. I treat them like living things, I feel like they have emotions and feelings. Example: When I hurt something (books, pens, etc.) because of my anger, I feel very bad afterwards. My feelings at that time are like - ''Why did I even hurt that poor thing ? That object didn't mean any harm to me.'' Another example: Today I accidentally threw a comb behind our wardrobe. Since after that, I am feeling sad for it. Why ? Is my mentallity weird ? Thanks !

Best Answer

This is called Anthropomorphism which is a type of thinking where you believe inanimate objects are personified to have human qualities and attributes. Anthropomorphism in itself is not a mental condition unless you were to begin having hallucinations and/or delusions along with it. Which would be a type of psychosis. But anthropomorphism isn't weird its just a different way of thinking I personally feel the same way you do.

Source(s): Personal Experience

If you think it's wired you can just stop doing it. You don't need to feel sad if you "hurt" an object, because they don't live and don't feel pain. Of curse, I also feel bad after doing something like that, but that's because I acted in a wrong way and destroyed something I need.

I do the same; for me its worse with plush toys that look like animals or that have faces. When I was younger, my mum pretended to eat a plush banana with a face and I started crying.

I wouldnt worry about it. Im not sure why we do it...it sounds stupid but maybe we think of these objects as our friends. Like, if we had them for awhile, we become attached to them.

• Guren

I'm the same way.I don't know if it's weird or something is wrong with you. But you might need to ask a doctor just in case.People are different in many ways.

Evolution is smart, a person within the sky making a girl out of a mans ribs would not! A talking snake telling people to devour an apple, immaculate conception, rising from the lifeless, yeah right, when you are dead that is it, your ghost would not go wherever coz there's no ghost! DERP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The opposite would be much worse!

Maybe not "weird" but "different"... definitely.

Source(s): I'm a little funny like that with my plants. Hey, it's all good!

it seems quite odd to me, I'd go and speak to someone about this