I'm being deployed. Should I sell my 2009 Chrysler 300C or put it in storage?

I have a 2009 Chrysler 300C with 65,000 miles. It's in good condition with no damage. I also live in the South so it's not rusting from salt on the roads during the winter. It's also paid off.

I'm going on deployment for a year. I don't know if it's better to put my car in storage or sell it and buy something else once I return in 2014. A 2009 is hardly a "new car" and will decline in value rapidly. If another year passes it is just going to be worth that much less. Plus I don't have a garage and would have to rent a storage garage for around $75/month.

I like my 300 but could part with it. It's a good car and has nothing wrong with it. However I don't know if I want to hold onto it and have to go through the effort of storing it while I'm overseas. If I got rid of it that's one less I'd have to deal with. Plus, I like the new 300 body style as well. Buying myself a newer 300 upon my return could be my reward for my tour of duty :)

Thanks for your advice.

• Jeremy
    Favorite Answer

Okay, well everyones answers here are nice and all, but do not listen to them, because they are not in the military.

I am in the Army, I was deployed back in 2010, now, let me explain something to you, if your leadership hasn't explained this to you, ask them about it, get USAA insurance if you don't already (they have a special rate for people deployed, you only pay like 2 dollars a month and you keep your insurance current), every post has a huge parking lot that deployed soldiers can take their vehicles to, and it will be in a gated area, and once a week, someone comes out, turns over your car, and lets it run for a bit, so that everything stays in halfway decent condition, this is provided free to you, the military offers you free storage for your barracks room stuff, and they do the same for vehicles, start asking around, if your post/base does not offer it, then a bigger one will, there is no need to sell your car just because you are deploying.

And just because you are deploying and will have a bunch of money, doesn't mean you should immediately spend it, don't be another one of those military statistics of people that immediately spend all of their money when they get back, and always has a car payment, you never sell a paid off car, there is no point, and besides, why go and buy a new car, that has some improvements, and get into another car payment?

sell it. it is not good for a car to sit up. do you have someone that could start the car up every now and again? Changing fluids would be an additional expense when you return. What kind of garage space would it be stored in? A regular garage where mice or squirrells could get in? You dont want or need an animal getting inside for shelter. or even a snake. I know thats common down south too.

Chrysler repaid $11 of the $12 billion it borrowed in the time of the Obama Admin. that's a stable thank you to diminish the government's losses whether it had to sell at a loss to get out of the vehicle company. This replaced into the 2d time in 30 years that Chrysler had to be bailed out via the U.S. government. the 1st time replaced into in the time of the Reagan administration. Chrysler replaced into then bought via the German Daimler company, and because Chrysler's 2009 financial ruin submitting the corporate has been controlled via Italian automaker Fiat.

The worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit. I say sell it now, then buy a similar one for a few grand less when you get back (or get the newer style as you mentioned). Then you save some money and get a car that has been driven regularly.

Cars do not always do well in extended storage. They need to have the engine run for a while, every few weeks, otherwise things star to seize up or deteriorate. You would also need to raise it on blocks to protect the tires from degradation, and disconnect the battery.

Tough choice! Personally, I would say sell it that way you don't have to worry about it while you are gone and don't have to pay the extra money to store it.

You can purchase something new when you return from deployment.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Lisa

Customer Care

Chrysler Group LLC

• Harry

nothing wrong with letting it sit, basically its your choice.