Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

finding the right dog food for a toy poodle?

wll he is REALLY REALLY REALLY PICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and he is 13 inch max and max 3 lbs and he needs a good food and agood treat and brand what can i gave him and to keep him happy and healthy i love my little boy so any advice helps thanks so much

Update:

also could i add yogurt he loves yogurt

Update 2:

by best food i ment something high Quality

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no best dog food. The best dog food for your toy poodle is whatever high quality dog food he/she does best on.

Not all pet food is made equally. A lot of it is full of corn, by-products, dyes, unhealthy preservatives, filler grains and all sorts of nasty stuff. A lot of pet food companies are perfectly happy to the dump cheap leftovers and things that aren't safe for human consumption (from human food processing plants) into their foods. Will it kill your dog? No, it has to be nutritionally complete and safe to even be marketed. Is it healthy? Not by a long shot.

Corn is a low quality ingredient you never want to see in your pet food. Corn and low quality grains are two of the biggest culprits when it comes to food allergies in our pets.

Thankfully, there are some excellent dog foods being made these days that include organic, human grade ingredients rather than trash not fit for human consumption.

Examples of low quality foods to avoid: Anything you can find in a grocery store will be low end, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canin, Pedigree, Kibbles n' Bits, Beneful, Ol'Roy.

Examples of high quality foods to look for: Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold, Canidae All Life Stages, Fromm Four Star, Merrick, GO Natural, Nature's Variety Prairie, Nature's Logic, Artemis Fresh Mix, Timberwolf Organics.

Although the high quality foods are more expensive, you're getting what you're paying for. Less filler material means more concentrated nutrients... this means you typically need to feed far less of the high quality food than you would of the low quality one. Which also means less poop!

Before following your vet's food recommendation, keep in mind that vets get /very/ little nutritional training during their schooling. Besides that, what training they /do/ get is usually sponsored or taught by the crappy pet food companies! They also often get paid to sell some of their products at their clinics (Science Diet, Royal Canin etc.)

A great option is to go with an entirely grainless diet. Many of the high quality foods now put out grainless formulas. Some good grainless diets include: Innova EVO, Wellness CORE, Blue Wilderness, Nature's Variety Instinct, Orijen, Horizon Legacy, Merrick Before Grain, Canidae Grain Free All Life Stages, Fromm Surf & Turf, Now! and Sold Gold Barking At The Moon, Taste of the Wild.

Some pretty decent foods can even be found in common pet stores. Petsmart carries Blue Buffalo products (such as the excellent grain free diet Blue Wilderness). Petco carries Wellness, Solid Gold, Natural Balance, Eagle Pack Holistic, Blue Buffalo, Castor & Pollux Organix, Pinnacle, and Halo. If you can't find a food, most of the high quality food brands have websites with store locators on them.

Another option, if you can't find anywhere around you that sells good foods, is to order your pet food online. Here's an excellent place to do so: http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/

Remember that foods should be switched gradually (mixing new slowly in with the old over about a two week period), especially when switching to a higher quality one, so as not to upset tummies.

Another option for feeding dogs is to feed raw. This is something that should be thoroughly researched before being attempted:

http://www.barfworld.com/

http://www.rawfed.com/

http://www.rawlearning.com/

http://www.wysong.net/controversies/rawm%E2%80%A6

More on dog food:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?%E2%80%A6 (Learn how to determine the quality of your dog's food.)

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_%E2%80%A6 (Dog food reviews. Four stars is a decent food, five stars is a great food, and six stars is an excellent food.)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

It depends on where you live, we have a great food here in WI called American Natural Premium made from the makers of Fromm and it retails at about $25-$28 a 40 lb bag. It is a very high quality food at a very low cost. Unfortunately it is really only available in the Southeastern WI area. Otherwise if you want a good high quality food you are going to be paying a high price. I would recommend EVO, Canidae, Fromm, Eaglepak, Wysong all of those are good foods but I'm not sure what they all run pricewise. I'm pretty sure they are expensive but what you need to think of is that the higher the quality of food the less waste they produce and the fewer health problems they are likely to have especially with all of these lovely food recalls we have been having. None of the foods I mentioned by the way were on any of the recall lists as far as I know.

• 8 years ago

Listen, and listen well.

This is a dog.

You can buy top-quality food for him and have him live a long time, or you can give in to his whims, feed him what he wants (my guess is people food) and have him die early and fat.

This is what you need to do:

Buy a good brand of dog food. Blue Buffalo, 4Health, Acana, whatever. Since he is super small you can spend more, he won't eat as much.

Give him the food. If he doesn't eat it, TOO BAD. He goes hungry. Trust me, he will eat if he's hungry enough. Its not going to kill the dog to learn that he has to eat what you provide him. Do not over feed him, do not give him people food. Set the bowl down at dinner time, and walk away.

Eventually he will eat it, and be better for it.

Same goes with treats. If he doesn't eat the treats, he doesn't get them.

Think of yourself as a parent with a picky kid. Don't go out and buy fast food every day because he'll only eat waffle fries and burgers. Do it with love.

Hope you can man up and help your dog this way. Good luck.

• 8 years ago

A good food will have no corn, no grains, no byproducts, and a meat as the first ingredient, like chicken. Corns and grains are hard to digest for dogs, and some are even allergic to it. Byproducts are things like tails, hooves and other bad cuts of meat unfit for human consumption... Or in other words, crap.

Some good brands are Evo, taste of the wild, instinct, blue buffalo, wellness, canidae, Merricks, avoderm, orijen...

To see what I mean, compare benefuls ingredients to taste of the wild, a good brand:

Beneful...

" Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), rice flour, beef, soy flour, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, water, animal digest, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), l-lysine monohydrochloride, dried peas, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, calcium propionate (s preservative), choline chloride, vitamin supplements (E, A, B12, D3), added color (yellow #5, red #40, yellow #6, blue #2), dl-methionine, zinc sulfate, glyceryl monostearate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, biotin, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, copper sulfate"

And taste of the wild...

"Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.