VT student, asking questions about taking the Bar Exam without going to Law School?

I am a Political Science Major, wondering a few things about the Bar in VT. I came across something on the VT Judiciary Website, and just want to make sure I am not mistaken about not having to attend Law School to take the Bar Exam. I will need to apprentice under, or have an attorney "sponsor" me, correct!??! Thanks, M

Favorite Answer

It's pretty rare now, but I think you're reading is correct. Here's the site:

Vt. Bar Adm. Rule 6

g) An applicant shall have pursued the study of law with special reference to the general practice of law:

(1) for a period of not less than four years within this state under the supervision of an attorney in practice in this state who has been admitted to practice before this Court not less than three years prior to the commencement of that study, or

(2) in any jurisdiction of the United States or common law jurisdiction in a law school approved by this Court which maintains a three-year course leading to a law degree.

(h) An approved college is any college or university authorized to grant four-year undergraduate degrees by the laws of the state in which it is located.

(2) An approved law school is any law school accredited by the American Bar Association, the American Association of Law Schools, or otherwise approved by this Court.