Best Hayao Miyazaki films?

I've only seen Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro. Both are great, but I want to get a few more on DVD and give them a watch. What else would you recommend and why?

Favorite Answer

There is no best Miyazaki film, and they are all hacks in some ways. There really are only films that is someone's favorite.

General rule of thumb, when you trace the work of a creator through his career, you want to examine what he made in his younger years. Those early works tend to pack almost everything he will repeat in later works.

The earliest you probably want to go back to is Panda Kopanda (1972), which is released in the US under the similar but different title Panda Go Panda. His subsequent films are Castle Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, and Laputa. He made Totoro after Laputa, so that's as much as you'd want for early Miyazaki.

Later works do have higher production value and better commercial success, but they do not have the same edge as the works of a younger Miyazaki.

Best Hayao Miyazaki Films

I reccomend Hawl's Moving Castle.

I love this story.

This story gives us dream.

It is funny.

Also, I reccomend Prencess Mononoke.

I heard this story reflects our progress of civilization, so you can not only enjoy but also study about human history.

My English is poor, because I'm Japanese.

I hope my answer helps you.

I think there is no "bad" one among his films. All of them are good.