How long can you hide being gay for?

or at least to your parents, was just having dinner when the gay marriage debate came up on the television in the other room and my prejudice brother started talking of how gay people are so disgusting and asking my parents what they would be like if one of there children were gay, that it would suck and that he... show more or at least to your parents, was just having dinner when the gay marriage debate came up on the television in the other room and my prejudice brother started talking of how gay people are so disgusting and asking my parents what they would be like if one of there children were gay, that it would suck and that he would disown them he said and they then said how didn't it would be and 'less than ideal' but they would take it on the chin and move on.. While me, there gay son sat listening to there views on everything pretending to agree with them.. Recently, I'm 17, I have been thinking about telling someone but after that I never want to tell my parents ever, although it makes me angry what they said, being gay is kinda awesome in the way that it would be ironic when I do come out lol. But still it's nice I know how they feel about it but its 'less than ideal' for me to.. Also from that I'm thinking they defiantly think I am straight lol, ill be going to university next year, any ideas on how you can keep being gay from your family for as long as possible? Will my voice and the way I act change after I come out to friends and things? Some people at school think I'm gay so I don't understand why my parents don't suspect anything? Unless I act differently around family and friends? How long have people hid being gay from there parents? Any stories about that or even coming out? Any answers would be helpful, I don't have anyone to talk to about this so yeah, thanks :) also I'm a guy lol.
9 answers 9