Is the 45 acp becoming more poplular?

I'm trying to decide if I should get a gun chambered in it or if it would be cheaper to go with a nine or a 40. Cost IS going to be the deciding factor, because from what I've read, with modern ammo the difference in effectiveness is minimal. I need a gun caliber that I can buy just about anywhere and can afford to practice with. Obviously right now isn't a good time to buy anything but I'm just trying to plan ahead for when ammo does show up.

Favorite Answer

I think .45 has been popular as far back as I can remember. It's lower capacity, but its fans are fond of saying that if you know what you're doing, you don't need as many rounds, especially with a .45's superior stopping power. I've gotten to where I prefer .40 S&W because although there are differences of opinion on this, the recoil is comparable to 9mm (to me, anyway), the ammo price is mostly comparable to 9mm (in some cases maybe higher by a negligible amount) while .45 tends to be higher (definitely around here, but I'm sure there are market differences all over the country, so your mileage may vary), and in the current environment, .40 tends to have fewer availability issues and is easier to find (usually easier than .45 and always easier than 9mm, although, again, that's what I'm seeing locally), and it's anybody's guess how long this shortage/hoarding BS will be going on. Also, anybody who says they know what will happen is talking directly out of their a$$, but if little to nothing changes with the types of firearms legal for purchase based on upcoming legislation (which looks to be the case), then demand may soon fall, resulting in prices lower than the ones that are currently inflated (monstrously in many cases).

Source(s): Just paying attention to what's going on.

Critically? The .Forty five acp is an first-class defensive caliber for 2-legged predators. It's not a searching circular. It's too gradual to consistently reach the vitals of a heavy, muscular and heavy-boned critter like a endure. I would not even use it to shoot at deer much much less a undergo and certainly no longer a large undergo. You'll just get it mad. Now the .Forty five (long) Colt revolver is one other topic (as a weapon of possibility it has even been identified to kill Grizzly bear). But when you want to stick with a semi-auto do not forget the Glock model 20 10mm which is a hunter in a caliber that is as strong at a 100 yards because the .45 acp is on the muzzle. The minimum security in opposition to 4-legged critters is a .357 Magnum preferably with a 6" barrel. With that .Forty five acp the nice you could hope for is to scare the undergo away with the aid of firing just a few rounds in his course, but i would not stake my lifestyles on it. Good luck. ADDENDUM: WOW! I just learn Breedsare's hyperlink. Determine it out earlier than you make your final decision. H

"More popular?" It's really hard to say, because since 1920 or so, it has never not been popular in the US anyway. Even with modern ammunition and the "minimal" difference in effectiveness, why wouldn't you want to give yourself every advantage you can?

.45 ammunition is a little more expensive in general, but when it comes to the modern effective self-defense ammo, there's not going to be much difference in price.

If the cost of ammunition is the your primary concern when buying something that your life and the lives of your family may depend on, why not just go with a baseball bat or a 5 iron? Okay, that's a deceptive comparison, but my thought is that if you don't want to spend money on ammo, you're not going to practice. No ammunition is very effective if you don't hit what you aim at, and with self-defense ammuntion, you have to hit what you're aiming at when you are under the most stress you will ever experience.

Get the gun you are most comfortable with, and the one that you feel you will shoot the best. Take that gun to the range and practice. Buy high-quality, reliable ammunition. You don't have to shoot a lot of the expensive ammo in practice, but you should at least make sure that it's accurate and reliable in your gun.

• Andy

The .45 has always been popular. It just seems like more people are becoming aware just how good it is for the purpose it was intended for. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot though. So if cost is a factor, you might be better off going with the 9mm. Myself, i'm sticking with the .45.

.45 ACP has been popular for 113 years and saw a resurgence about 30 years ago and is still going strong. As Lana said, 9mm Luger and .40 S&W still out sell it. The ability for a firearm to stop someone is still primarily in the skill of the shooter. The most cost effect solution is clearly 9mm Luger, with ammo costing about 50% less than .45ACP, and a wider variety of decent entry-level handguns, such as the Sig SP2022, CZ P-07, Ruger SR-9, Springfield XD, and others.

• Jeff

45 ACP has been the go to choice since its inception.

With modern projectiles I'd expect it to remain in the top 3 for many more years

9mm is ok... But in 45 if the bullet fails to expand--- a 45 cal hole is still bigger than a 35 cal hole... Plus 230 grains is 230 grains

If cost is your deciding factor...go with the 9. The 45 has better stopping power at close range.

Nope. The 9mm para & .40S&W outsell it consistently.