Can a new thermostat cause a relay to stick?

I added a new honeywell digital programmable wifi thermostat to my rheem ac system and the fan will not shut off. I wired it up to specs on electrical diagram on the unit. After running all night I faound out the compressor was not on. I took cover off of comp and the capacitor was good so I tapped on the relay... show more I added a new honeywell digital programmable wifi thermostat to my rheem ac system and the fan will not shut off. I wired it up to specs on electrical diagram on the unit. After running all night I faound out the compressor was not on. I took cover off of comp and the capacitor was good so I tapped on the relay heard it click turbed on power and it ran. It is stuck again, my question is is this coincidence or did the new tstat do something? It all worked fine before I added the new tstat. I did have to hook up common wire in the handler but I did it to specs, coul it have caused a short that caused the switch to blow? Thanks for the help. I know I need to replace relay but I want to make sure that the tstat isnt the issue befire I replace it.
4 answers 4