Lab results suggest I'm "early Type 1 diabetic", doc is keeping me on meds for time being?

Got results back from my endo yesterday in the mail to try and determine if I have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It was assumed to be Type 2, and since the Metformin combined with my diet has been controlling my blood sugar, I thought so as well, but my doctor wrote in the lab result notes that all of the data suggest... show more Got results back from my endo yesterday in the mail to try and determine if I have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It was assumed to be Type 2, and since the Metformin combined with my diet has been controlling my blood sugar, I thought so as well, but my doctor wrote in the lab result notes that all of the data suggest I actually have "early Type 1" diabetes, not Type 2 as was initially presumed. My c-peptide was 1.4 and he also wrote that 2/3 of my antibody results were "abnormal". How exactly is this possible? He also noted that he was going to keep me on the pills "so long as the blood glucose is controlled".

Maybe I'm misinformed, but I was under the impression that if Metformin was controlling my blood sugar, then it couldn't be Type 1? Kind of baffled by this, I'm going to call tomorrow. I have another appointment with him in May, but if it is Type 1 as he's written, what should I do? My blood sugar levels have been relatively normal, so should I just keep an eye on them to make sure the medicine is still working? Is there a honeymoon period before Type 1 fully runs its course (i.e. zero insulin is produced)? If I am an "early Type 1", then the meds will eventually be useless as my pancreas totally gives out, right?

If it helps, I'm a 22 y.o. male. My mom's father had Type 1 diabetes as well. I was diagnosed as being diabetic a month ago, presumed to be Type 2, but apparently the genetic testing they did proved otherwise.
Update: Thanks for all the info guys, I called my endocrinologist today and he confirmed that it is most definitely Type 1 diabetes. They're keeping me on the Metformin for the time being, but, as his nurse said, "unfortunately" that will only be effective for so long, and then I'll have to start insulin... show more Thanks for all the info guys, I called my endocrinologist today and he confirmed that it is most definitely Type 1 diabetes. They're keeping me on the Metformin for the time being, but, as his nurse said, "unfortunately" that will only be effective for so long, and then I'll have to start insulin therapy. I have an appointment with them next month as I said, and I was told just to watch my BG levels, and if they begin to rise or stay consistently high (about 200) that I need to call them immediately. Again, thanks for the info, it was really helpful to get my by until I was able to get the complete details.