Is rakuten.com (formerly known as buy.com) reliable?

So I recently came across this website, rakuten.com, while browsing the internet for things to buy for cheap. This site had a lot of the things I was searching for and there were customer reviews that were supposedly from the last 12 months. however, I randomly came across a site online where people rate websites for online shopping, and rakuten was getting a lot of poor reviews. They were mostly about how the items are mostly faulty.. The reviews were also mostly about when rakuten was still buy.com. I'm just really worried because I already ordered something from the site and I don't want anything faulty....

Favorite Answer

While there is no way to guarantee that you are dealing with a legit site, there are "red flags" to look for in a fake sites.

1) Payment options, do they include Western Union, moneygram, paypal and bank transfer? Some scam sites will accept credit cards but most prefer those 4 options which are anonymous for the scammer to pick up the cash and disappear.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Paypal can only get your money back if there is money left in the scammer's paypal-linked bank account. Scammers know this and will immediately withdrawal your money and disappear. No money in the scammer's paypal-linked bank account means absolutely no possibility of refund for you.

Your bank can only get your money back if there is money left in the scammer's bank account. Scammers know this and will immediately withdrawal the money you transferred. No money in the account means absolutely no possibility of you getting your hard-earned money back.

2) Contact options, is it a free email address such as gmail, hotmail or yahoo? Is it a chat box? Scam sites will rarely list a phone number or street address.

Scammers love to create free email addresses and rarely will use a paid server. Email is easy to ignore and block and free email addresses are easy to open and close completely anonymously. Chat requests are easy to block via ip address.

3) Shipping options, do you actually get to choose the option at check out? Fake sites will frequently say "free shipping" and "tracking numbers emailed" but, if they ship anything at all, will use the post office, cheap, slow and no account number needed.

Fake sites will frequently show icons for UPS, FedEx, DHL and TNT but then at check out will "ship" via EMS, the Chinese post office. If they send a "tracking number" good luck getting it to work on the EMS website. You will need even more luck trying to contact EMS when your tracking stops and your "package" is lost somewhere.

4) The icons at the bottom of the page, are they just copy/pasted pictures or links to actual sites?

Fake sites will often have icons for Verisign, McAfee, Paypal and other companies at the bottom of the home page. Those should be live links to that company's website. Fake sites can't risk linking to real sites so they just use badly copied pictures instead.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even partial sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

There are scam busting sites with online lists of the names scammers use, their email addresses, stock copy/paste emails, paid-for-in-cash cell phone numbers, stolen pictures and fake websites they use. You could start your search at one of those sites.

Paypal is Very safe to use when purchasing - as long as you fund with your CREDIT CARD!!! I never use any other form or funding, Plus,I have a long history with my credit card companies - they do not want to lose me as a customer, so they are always very helpful.

I initiate a charge back via my CC issuing bank, they charge-back Paypal, and Paypal will then go after the seller- and they will. This has worked fine the few times I have had to do this.

Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR Digital Camera. Price at Amazon $409. Rakuten has the same camera for $7,700. Lol.

No rakuten is a **** site. I bought this hat while back expecting a scala derby hay with feather and white thing inside the hat as the picture and description claimed paid 45.95 for this hat that came and looked cheaply made out of felt and hat no feather and no white thing inside and it wasn't a scala it was a Morris brand and was a $5 quality costume hat which the tag said costume hat so basically I was ripped off and paid 45 bucks for a **** quality hat

• Erika

Rakuten.com

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/bwFI1

..... they throw stones only to tall trees.....