Please cite a case where the U.S. might have done the morally wrong thing in pursuing its national interests.?

National interests referring to: safety from direct attack, survival of political and economic system, and the continuity of the international systems we depend on.

Best Answer

The invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. We had no beef with those countries or the people in them, only with Al Quaeda and Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. We spent TRILLIONS of dollars, killed hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, and alienated the allies whose cooperation is vital in the global fight against terrorism.

Deposing legitimately-elected leaders like Mohammed Mossadegh, Jacobo Arbenz, Salvador Allende, because -we- didn't like them. Likewise propping up truly evil dictators like the Shah of Iran, Sukarno and Suharto of Indonesia, Augusto Pinochet, etc.

Insisting that the UN act as a branch of the US state department, castigating other countries from following their recommendations, while ignoring them ourselves when they didn't suit us.

At home, deregulating oil companies, banks, investment bankers, insurance companies, mortgage companies, so they could make a lot of money in a hurry, and grow Too Big To Fail, so when they crashed the taxpayers would come in and bail them out and they'd all still get their 7-figure 'bonuses'.

Define "Morally mistaken" Whose morals are we wronging right here? I consider any person who can derive any morality about the discipline of ingesting is any person with an excessive amount of time and now not adequate concentration being paid to them. While you feel that in instances long gone by way of, ingesting beer was safer than drinking the water in many places, and likewise that alcohol has been round for millennia, then I an struggling to look at what factor in our historical past this grew to be an affront to anyone. As I take a seat here, i have a category of crimson wine subsequent to me, and they say that ingesting a pitcher a day is in reality good for you. So I consider no guilt, and no-one would ever reward a logical argument that would persuade me to vary my intellect. Sure there are humans out there who can find fault with some thing and everything, but as you will see that from the photograph on my 360 web page (link beneath) there are men and women who deem the pc morally wrong, and phone it a homo satan computing device... ♥Temperamental♥ makes a number of legitimate facets about the outcome alcohol has on the body, however the body can suffer likewise from persons getting into hostile environments. Is it morally incorrect to climb a high mountain past the factor the place the oxygen thins? Is it morally flawed to deep sea dive? These things can influence the body and mental method in simply the equal method, and they are also voluntary, so why do people draw a line with alcohol? Sure it can be silly to move out and drink a lot that any individual could take skills of you, however that is stupidity, not morally flawed. I think specific prudes appear on the social "lubricating" results of drink, and see individuals having fun on the back of being comfortable, and on the grounds that they are so uptight and on no account had that enjoyable, they blame the drink. I'm positive in categorising humans who would call drinking "morally unsuitable" as extreme misfits with terrible social competencies and a warped perception approach... Palms up all those men and women? ;-)

Recently, torture and collateral damage from bombs dropped.

In the past there's plenty. During the cold war we stood up plenty of pretty awful dictators because they didn't care for the soviets even if they were brutal to their people.

During world war two when building the atomic bomb we didn't understand the effect of radiation on the human condition so we literally injected black american workers with varying levels of radiation without their knowledge to see what happened. There was also the rounding up of japanese americans during world war 2.

Farther back there were the countless things we did to the native americans. There's plenty I'm leaving out but this is what first comes to mind.

I still say the Patriot Act--while it may have been necessary to reiterate what the spies would do and the potentials for loss of certain rights, it's assumed they spy anyhow when there's a problem with national security. What they didn't need to do was take away Constitutional rights. The spies have been spying every day since their departments were opened.

The one that sticks out is the atom bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Many, many innocent lives were ended because of the assumption that an invasion of mainland Japan would result in more casualties for both sides.

the annexation of Hawaii comes to mind

cold war

Source(s): me