Lark
Lark asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

Has there been another week in American history with as much terrorism, tragedy & catastrophe as April 15-22?

Some of the horrific acts of violence perpetrated during this week in history had their dates deliberately chosen for symbolic reasons, and some of the acts of violence and catastrophic events occurred during this time of spring by coincidence (like the BP oil spill). To clarify, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, nor do I believe in curses. I don't feel like this week is tainted or subject to more tragedies and horrors than any other. I'm just making an observation that it seems like more calamities have happened either on US soil or directed at Americans during this week than is typical in our history.

April 15, 2013 - Two explosives occur near the finish line of the Boston Marathon

April 16, 2007 - Virginia Tech massacre. Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech, shot and killed 32 people and wounded 17 others in an attack on his campus.

April 18, 1983 - A suicide bomber destroys the United States Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon, killing 63 people.

April 19, 1993 - The 51 day siege of the Branch Davidian building outside Waco, Texas, ends when a fire breaks out. 81 people died.

April 19, 1995 - Oklahoma City bombing. 168 people were murdered, and hundred more were injured. Timothy McVeigh stated that he chose that date because he wanted to seek revenge on the federal government for their handling of the Waco Siege.

April 20, 1999 - The Columbine High School Massacre in Colorado. 13 were killed and 24 were injured. There was media speculation that the date was chosen because it was Hitler's birthday, but no substantial evidence to support that theory.

April 20, 2007 - Johnson Space Center Shooting at Nasa's space center in Houston, Texas.

April 20, 2010 - The Deepwater Horizon explosion that killed 11 crew members.

April 22, 2010 - Th Deepwater Horizon sank, leaving the well gushing and causing the largest offshore oil spill in U.S. history.

I realize that other weeks have been bloodier and more devastating for other countries. For the purpose of the question, I only focused on American history. Have there been other weeks in our history with multiple violent and tragic events?

Favorite Answer

Don't forget that human history is vast and extensive enough such that when we pick one day out of 365 days a year or one month out of the 12 months a year, statistically speaking, it is likely that there was some significant or extraordinary event that took place on that date in the previous centuries of human recorded history.

If you check on the wikipedia "on this day" entry you will inevitably see a vast list of significant occurrences that happened on this day. For example April 16th is the former Pope's birthday!

Here are some other examples of April 16th (which is "today" for Aussies like myself)

1947 – Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.

1947 – Bernard Baruch coins the term "Cold War" to describe the relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union.

1962 – Walter Cronkite takes over as the lead news anchor of the CBS Evening News, during which time he would become "the most trusted man in America".

1963 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. pens his Letter from Birmingham Jail while incarcerated in Birmingham, Alabama for protesting against segregation.

1990 – The "Doctor of Death", Jack Kevorkian, participates in his first assisted suicide.

Some entries for 15th of April (which is "today" for Skylark-land people!)

1896 – Closing ceremony of the Games of the I Olympiad in Athens, Greece.

1927 – The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, the most destructive river flood in U.S. history, begins.

1936 – First day of the Arab revolt in Palestine.

1970 – During the Cambodian Civil War, massacres of the Vietnamese minority results in 800 bodies flowing down the Mekong River into South Vietnam.

1989 – Upon Hu Yaobang's death, the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 begin in the People's Republic of China.

1994 – Representatives of 124 countries and the European Communities sign the Marrakesh Agreements revising the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and initiating the World Trade Organization (effective January 1, 1995).

Born on this day - 15th April

1452 – Leonardo da Vinci, Italian Renaissance polymath (d. 1519)

1982 – Seth Rogen, Canadian actor and writer

1990 – Emma Watson, English actress

Having said that, I do also wonder whether this may be some psychological association between a particular time of the year and a tendency for particular human actions. For example, due to festivities and celebrations at the end of the year one might assume that there are less calamities of the kind that result in death and destruction (just a guess).

So I'm just speculating as to whether the month of April is situated at a particular time of the year that for whatever psychological reason, may bring out the worst in people who are mentally/morally unstable?

Of course that the starting of "events" in spring time is certainly nothing new. I guess it was always

the first time to get outside and "sow one's oats". I very rarely turn on that awful news box called tv.

However, and I think it does have some relation to very recent events. This morning - a few blocks from my home. man gets in a violent discussion with the rest of his family. They call the police. Police come. Believe he will use a rifle against them and what do they do - kill him. Then a bit later someone dumps a bag of yesterday's lunch, next to the entrance of a huge mall. All the mall evacuated - on and on.

Finally find the rotten salami sandwich and everything back to "normal". Pure insanity -

I most certainly cannot in any way agree with these two "students". However I think an awful lot is a basic desire to sell more papers or get us to eat more inedible food.

Also the Lincoln Assassination was 148 years ago today and in 1906 a massive earthquake destroyed San Francisco at this time of year. I don't know if they have an explantion or not but it is odd. O'Reilly mentioned this tonight.

G

You make good points. Others will see other connections with other dates, and events.

The fix has to do with cause-effects and understanding the realities of life.

Source(s): gshpower.wordpress.com