Can I use a 12V charger for a 9.6V battery?

I just want to make sure I won't fry my battery. Also is there a certain time it takes to charge or will it not charge at all.

Thank you

• lare
    Favorite Answer

it is not voltage but current that recharges a battery. the typical "free" wall wart charger provided with 9.6 volt R/C batteries is 12 volt class. remember this is for quick charging, so don't leave it connected to the battery for an extended time. if you are using a high class charger, it will shut itself off automatically when the battery is charged, and not at a pre-set voltage. if you are looking for a charger that can be connected to the battery continuously, then it has to be sized correctly.

12 volts is too much for a 9.6V battery.

Damage would be very likely.

Find another way to do it, or use a suitable charging circuit

that will limit the charge voltage to a safe value.

The usual figure is no more than 3% to 5% higher than the battery's

actual full-charge voltage -- for your battery, that would be about 10 volts.

• alaniz

9.6 Volt Battery Charger

- depends on your battery! sometimes Alkaline. NiMH batteries are critical over-voltage could easy hurt your battery cells; over-charge can explode your battery if you are in doubt about charger or battery; carefully read battery requirements before do anything.

- frankly; i recommend to use battery charger with indicator (bar-graph or lcd) for any kind of battery.