Escaping Velocity? HELP!:)?

well i know what it is and stuff, i need to know the direction is goes. thanks:) sources please or else it wont really help :))))

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Escape velocity is the velocity required to escape a gravitational field. It is calculated with:

Ev = sqrt(2GM/r)

Where Ev is the escape velocity

G is Newton's gravitational constant

M is the mass of the body to be escaped from (note the mass of the escaping object is irrelevant)

r is the centre to centre distance between the object to be escaped from and the object escaping.

Note this is the ballistic escape velocity if the object is continually experiencing thrust it can go as slow as you want.

You need to know the direction it goes? To escape it needs to travel away from the source of gravity. In common language we call this direction "up".

A good place to start any research is wikipedia, then move on to a published encyclopedia, use the references in the encyclopedia as a reading list for books, read through those books and use the bibiographies in those books to read more material until you end up feel you know the issue well enough to satisfy your requirements.

Here's the wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Escape velocity is in the direction AWAY from the center of mass.

My source is I paid attention in grade 3 science.

• 8 years ago

Do you mean "escape velocity"? It is the speed at which the kinetic energy plus the gravitational potential energy of an object is zero. Usually up is the preferred direction.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.