Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

Can i get fired for not shaving my facial hair?

I was hired on by company having full facial hair have been with them for 2 1/2 years with facial hair have never shaved it off all the way. Today i go in and find out i have to go to a place where "they" require you to be clean cut. When i started i signed a contract stating i would be presentable to the public but it has nothing that mentions being "clean shaven" just presentable. Also the manager that fired me has a beard and mustache of his own that he always has on himself.

The place where i was going does have respiratory masks involved but my work does not require them what so ever for any other jobs. There was no writing warning, and as stated above my boss has a beard/mustache himself. My beard was never a problem as i kept it well kept to a point of respectable. No worse then the manager that fired me's beard is. There was no ultimatum on another worker going instead of me. Just "if you are not willing to be clean shaving then you can not work here"

>Can i get fired for not shaving my facial hair?

Oh yeah! Employers can fire you for coming to work or looking too much like the guy that ran off with their wife unless you have a contract that says YOU get to determine what is presentable you're screwed.

>The place where i was going does have respiratory masks involved but my work does not require them what so ever for any other jobs.

So, your work required them for this job you refused to comply and they fired you. It doesn't matter that the MANAGER who fired you had facial hair he's your boss he probably never wears a respiratory mask because he's too busy reprimanding his employees while twirling his mustache and stroking his beard.

>Today i go in and find out i have to go to a place where "they" require you to be clean cut.

The "they" you are talking about is OSHA and your company's insurer. You see back in the day people just got their dose of death from certain jobs they took it like a man and went off to die but nowadays everybody wants to sue for a paper cut and that means your respirator has to fit properly or you're fired.

>There was no writing warning

Welcome to the world of "at will" employment as in they can fire you at will for just about anything other than race creed color or religion. I imagine there was no warning either because they wanted to fire you or you acted insubordinate either way yes your company can fire you.

The place where you are going....are respirators required? If so, facial hair needs to go.

Is your beard not trimmed or unkempt in any way? I would take this to your manager and ask what specifically they meant. And, I wouldn't stop at him, I would speak with HR. lastly, written notice was required. Did you get written notice about a change in what "presentable" means?