Can I shoot a hawk with a pellet gun?

have a hawk in my yard also known as the chicken hawk stalking my hens every day and I have a 760 pumpmaster pellet gun. I was wondering if I could shoot it with my gun

Favorite Answer

Kill a hawk get federal slammin in de butt prison time.

• august

If you want to be arrested for violating the Federal laws prohibiting shooting or even harassing birds of prey, sure... And a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster would only wound a hawk, so you'd also be doing it in the most inhumane manner possible.

Very stupid idea, honestly.

NO, for two reasons. First, it is illegal. Birds such as ospreys, owls, hawks, etc. are federally protected. Second--and less importantly--anything much bigger than blackbird or a starling is going to require more weapon that an air rifle.

Contact your local fish and wildlife agency to see if they can relocate the bird and put chicken wire as a "ceiling" above the pen yuo keep them in.

• Mr.357

No. That is a violation of federal law and comes with stiff penalties. Some people shoot, shovel, and shutup, but you have published your intentions around the world.

• chris

Nope, hawks are protected birds, build a chicken coup where they can run in to for safety

i say do it. protect the property. i hate chicken hawks. they are known for killing small dogs and cats. i know they are doing what they know, but still. its my property. if i saw a chicken hawk going for my pets or live stalk, you better believe it will be one dead hawk.

just remember, its illegal, and the gun might be able to kill it, if not at least get it away from your property for a while.

hawks are birds of prey, which are all federally protected. you can not harm, trap, or kill any bird of prey in the U.S. no matter how pesky or annoying with out facing up to $15,000 in fines and 6 months imprisonment for common violations

Don't do it. It is a Felony! If you have them in a pen, just string thick wire zig zaging back and forth over the pen. This serves to discourage them from diving in. They can see it, i used it before.

• Can you? Sure. Should you? No, it's highly frowned upon and can result in a huge fine as well as jail time if caught.

yea you can but just dont get caught if you kill it just burry it