car sometimes wont shift past first gear?

I recently bought a 2003 Hyundai accent,automatic, and I have been driving it for about a month and about a week ago I was driving it when all of a sudden it wouldn't shift out of the first gear. It happened twice that day and I just ignored it since it didn't happen for the rest of the week but today it happened again. it only happens when I start accelerating (not when I'm past 20mph) a couple of hours layer when going into my home street it was about to.do.it again but it shifted a little late and made the car Jult a little

I checked all the oil on the motor and transmission and they are good and see no leaking and the car doesn't have the check engine sign

Again, it doesn't do it all the time but I'm worried it could be something serious

Favorite Answer

I'm just guessing, It may only do it when its cold? Hyundai may have an Electronic shift module or something like that. Like I say I'm just guessing. I have a Toyota truck with 356,000 miles on it and it was doing the same thing. My truck stopped doing it after I drained a little fluid out and put some Transmission additive in it. Could have been the additive or it could have been luck for me?

• Pamela

check your vacuum lines.