Should I have a roommate in college on not?

I am planning to go to college in nyc and I can't for the life of me decide if i want to get a dorm with or without a roommate. On one hand it would be so much less stress with me having my own dorm, but I also don't want to get lonely and bored all by myself. On one hand I want the extra roomspace I would have in a single, but I also don't want to fill it up with junk i wouldn't put in there if someone else was there. I can't decide! I want to make friends and talk to people but have my own space. The price is around the same so what do you guys think i should do?

• Lark
    Favorite Answer

I'm an extroverted social butterfly who loves having a single room to retreat to for sleep, studying, and when I desire contemplative solitude. I rarely get lonely because all I have to do is step out of my room to have company. I'm friends with everyone surrounding my little space. There are benefits and caveats for having a roommate. Being forced to share such a small space can teach you valuable skills about how to be considerate and sensitive to the needs of others, and to reevaluate some of your habits. Some do become close friends with their roommates and value that special bond. I hit the jackpot with my roommate last year and love her like a sister. Many others haven't been that fortunate. Roommate disputes are almost as common as backpacks on a college campus.

Many first-year students make the mistake of expecting too much from their roommate, like a friendship and steady source of companionship. Really, you're just sharing a room, and there's no guarantee you'll become friends or even like one another. You could actually feel more lonely and bored if your roommate goes out and doesn't invite you to come along on a night you have nothing else planned. That happens frequently. Some students, especially freshmen, who are unaccustomed to sharing a space do not make the effort to learn how to be a courteous roommate and to modify their habits. People commonly complain about roommates who stay up late studying, or wake up super early. One of my friends who is a night owl was paired with a girl on crew who woke up at 5 every morning and woke her up, too. They'll complain of roommates who have boyfriends or girlfriends sleep over, of slobs or neat freaks, and about passive aggressive antics. Having a room of your own means having your own haven to retreat to at the end of a stressful day instead of having to worry about your roommate.

At most colleges single rooms are a rare commodity given only to upperclassman, to those in unique circumstances, or for an extra fee. If your college has single rooms for around the same price, then I think you should take advantage of that rare perk. Get a single for your first year. Make an effort to befriend people on your hall so you'll still have company when you desire it. If you would like a roommate, then you'll have a whole year to form a good friendship to someone to live with as a sophomore.

Good luck.

~ skylark : )

From personally experience I think you should have a roommate for at least the first year so that way you can have a buddy. If by the end of the first semester you do not get along you can always switch roommates . And if you decide having a roommate just isn't for you, You can choose to live in a single your sophomore year.

OR

You should check if your college has apartment style dorming that way you can have your own room but still have roommates.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am planning to go to college in nyc and I can't for the life of me decide if i want to get a dorm with or without a roommate. On one hand it would be so much less stress with me having my own dorm, but I also don't want to get lonely and bored all by myself. On one hand I want the extra...

Source(s): roommate college not: https://tinyurl.im/kHdZy
  • ?

This is a challenging question, and one that has been the source of confusion for me for quite a long time.